After Hours: Kishore Jayaraman, President, Rolls-Royce India and South Asia
1. In my role at Rolls-Royce my challenges are not limited to one facet like technical or operational but involve all the facets of building a successful business. This is something that motivates me every day. Additionally, my role is such that I get to meet a lot of interesting personalities and high achievers in my daily routine, which increases my learning manifold on a day-to-day basis. It makes me remain humble and perform my duties, with broader thinking and more inclusive strategy and decision making.
Every day is a new day and it is very true with my job. There are challenges— long term and short term—and ensuring that a safe and well governed Rolls-Royce India & South Asia exists is the key thing on my mind which motivates me and gets my energy flowing. I strive to create an environment where there is less of bureaucracy and more of good governance with lots of democracy. My goal is to have an inclusive team that operates as one. The sum of the parts will always be greater than the individual and when I see that goal hindered it bothers me a lot.
2. My typical day begins at about 6 am with reading of select newspapers and warming up to morning exercises. Whenever I am in town, I generally try to spend time over breakfast with my family. I come back home at about 7:30 pm for dinner and enjoy spending time with my family, sharing and resolving day to day activities at home. When I am travelling, a typical day in my life usually starts with a breakfast meeting. The rest of the day is populated with meetings with internal or external stakeholders, either through in-person meetings or conference calls. Evenings are always a business dinner appointment or a quiet dinner, on rare occasions. These quiet dinners allow me time to reflect on work and life and put plans and strategies in place thus enabling me to get out from the weeds and see the forest as a whole.
3. At Rolls-Royce, I travel a lot, so I try to spend my weekends mostly with the family. It typically revolves around playing chess/tennis, running errands and watching a movie with the family. I sometimes do go for a round of golf as time permits. Also, as a family, we love going for long drives and I try and do it over weekends. We match these long drives with scrumptious dinner somewhere outside, as we love trying new restaurants and eateries. Delhi is a great place when it comes to quality food and we do justice to the same.
4. Apart from my guitar that I love to strum and hang around with, I love to drive my BMW. My passion is to get myself a good Royal Enfield Bullet and ride but time is precious currently for me. The right time for this will come….
5. I love Polo Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers for clothing and Cole Haan and Johnston Murphy for shoes.
—As told to Banasree Purkayastha