Popular hashtag trends on Twitter in India in 2015 saw a mixture of sports, entertainment, political and social activism movements. Here are the top Twitter popular hashtag trends in India, 2015 that map conversations this year including #IPL, #SelfieWithDaughter and more:
1. #IPL: The biggest T20 cricket league in the world made a full season return to India after being partially played in the Middle East last year and saw cricket fans enthusiastically engaging in public conversation about the league with over 9 million #IPL Tweets this season.
See the global conversations on the #IPL heatmap
2. #SelfieWithDaughter: This Modi-led campaign started in the state of Haryana in July 2015 to promote the rights of the girl child and started trending within hours as dads clicked selfies with their daughters to participate in the initiative with over 375,000 #SelfieWithDaughter Tweets.
3. #BiharResults: One of the largest states of India went to the polls this October-November, and Twitter provided front-row access to the unfolding conversations. #BiharElections got the chatter going about breaking news, candidates sparring over agendas, and wooing the public. #BiharResults trended on polling day with over 260,000 Tweets.
See more about this conversation in this #BiharResults Reverb chart
4. #SaalEkShuruaatAnek: Indian Prime Minister @narendramodi’s first year as PM saw unique engagements with citizens and global leaders, and he has used the platform to enforce e-governance and digital diplomacy. On his first year anniversary in office, there were over 179,000 #SaalEkShuruaatAnek Tweets.
5. #DDLJ20Years: This October, iconic Bollywood love story, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge turned 20 and it celebrated its birthday on Twitter with fans and celebrities reminiscing about their favourite DDLJ dialogues, scenes, songs, and photos. Twitter presented a wonderful reflection to all the excitement with over 140,000 #DDLJ20Years Tweets.