Twitter reveals that globally, an average of 125 million hashtags are shared every day.
Twitter on Wednesday celebrated the 10th anniversary of hashtags. In a press statement, the social media giant revealed that the hashtag was born on August 23, 2007. Stressing on the significance of the hashtags, Twitter says that over the past ten years, it has evolved from a way to simply ‘tag’ or categorize Tweets, to one of the most recognizable and widely used symbols of the digital age. To mark the day, Twitter has activated a custom emoji. The social media giant invited users to join in the celebration by simply Tweeting with #Hashtag10 to activate the custom emoji. Twitter reveals that globally, an average of 125 million hashtags are shared every day, helping people on Twitter to see what’s happening in the world and explore what’s being talked about at the very moment.
Undoubtedly, the hashtag has brought a transformational change in nature of communication online and become a powerful way to aggregate global conversations and movements. Comparing the fantabulous growth of hashtag with time, Twitter reveals that 10 years ago, in 2007, the most Tweeted hashtag was used around 9,000 times. 10 years later, the most-used hashtag so far in 2017 was used over 300 million times. “From social movements like #ChennaiFloods to fans of TV show BiggBoss #BB10, and iconic sporting events like the #IPL, India’s top hashtags is a unique mix that speaks to India’s culture, sense of identity and passion. It’s #whatshappening,” said Country Director of Twitter India, Taranjeet Singh.
Revealing the first hashtag, Twitter says that Chris Messina @chrismessina had used the word #barcamp. Since this first Tweet, the hashtag has become a part of the common vernacular. From monumental world events and awareness campaigns to weekly throwback pictures, it all happens with a hashtag, and it all happens on Twitter.
Here are the top three hashtags globally, in order of popularity, on Twitter are:
· The first #FollowFriday was on Jan 16, 2009, and there have been over half a billion #FF (or #followfriday) uses since then.
· The first use of #NowPlaying or #NP was a Tweet about the song “Open your Heart” by Lavender Diamond in 2007.
· #NowPlaying or #NP has been Tweeted more than 1 billion times.
· #ThrowbackThursday and #TBT have been Tweeted 120M times.
· The most Tweeted television show hashtag of all time is #TheWalkingDead
· #BB10 is the most Tweeted TV show hashtag of all time in India
· The most Tweeted about movie hashtag of all time is #StarWars
· #Sultan is the most Tweeted movie hashtag of all time in India
· The most Tweeted global sporting event hashtag is #Euro2016
· The most Tweeted sporting event hashtag in the US is the #SuperBowl
· #IPL is the most Tweeted sporting event hashtag of all time in India
· The most Tweeted about league hashtag is #NFL
· The most Tweeted team hashtag is #MUFC