Apple iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus have finally been unveiled, and Apple will begin selling its latest smartphones as early as September 16 in the US. They will also be up for pre-orders from September 9. Apple has also announced the subsequent launch dates across various countries, and the new iPhones are coming to India from October 7. While most people were expecting only incremental changes in the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, in case of Apple, incremental tends to take a whole new meaning, that includes some, if not many new features.
1) Rear cameras: First things first, all the buzz around dual rear cameras has come true! Yes, the iPhone 7 Plus has a 12-megapixel wide angle camera and a 12-megapixel telephoto camera. According to Apple, the two, together, offer optical zoom at two times and up to 10 times digital zoom for photos. “Coming later this year, the dual 12-megapixel cameras also enable a new depth-of-field effect, using both cameras on iPhone 7 Plus to capture images,” says Apple in its release. This means that the cameras would allow you to blur the background and enhance the subject of your image better.
In case of Apple iPhone 7, the 12-megapixel camera (single) includes optical image stabilization, and a larger ƒ/1.8 aperture and 6-element lens. These enable brighter, more detailed photos and videos, says Apple.
2) Selfie time: There is also a new 7MP HD camera with wide color capture, advanced pixel technology and auto image stabilization. There is also a new quad-LED flash that is 50% brighter than iPhone 6s.
3) Headphone jack gone, welcome Ear Pods! New stereo speakers have been introduced and the new iPhones come with Ear Pods with Lightning connector. There is also a 3.5 mm headphone jack adapter that allows customers to use old headphones and accessories.
New Air Pods are Apple’s “courageous” attempt in the direction of Wireless technology. The feature the new Apple W1 chip that allows for improved sound. They harness the power of Siri. “We have taken up the wireless challenge with the Apple Air pods,” Apple said. The Apple Air pods can run up to 5 hours for a single charge. The infra-red sensors in the pods help the devices identify when they are inside your ears.
4) Water and dust resistant: In news that will bring cheer to Apple fans, the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are splash, water and dust resistant. They have been extensively tested under controlled laboratory conditions on the same.
5) Battery: The iPhones boast of the new Apple A10 Fusion chip, that allows the longest battery life in an iPhone till date. This has four cores. “Graphics performance is more powerful, running up to three times faster than iPhone 6 at as little as half the power, enabling a new level of gaming and professional apps,” Apple says.
6) Colours: iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus come colours of silver, gold, rose gold and two new black finishes. One has an anodized matte appearance, and the other which is jet black finish has a deep, high-gloss look.
7) Display: Appls claims that the the new iPhones feature the “brightest, most colorful Retina HD display” ever in an iPhone. They have a wide color gamut for “cinema-standard colors”. In case of iPhone 7, the screen size is 4.7 inch and for iPhone 7 Plus it is 5.5 inch.
8) New Home Button: Apple says that the new solid-state Home button on iPhone 7 is designed to be durable and responsive.
9) iOS 10: iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus will run on iOS 10, a software that Apple had previewed at the WWDC this year. It will be available for update on September 13 for older Apple users. iOS 10 introduces updates to Messages, better use of 3D Touch, redesigned Maps, Photos, Apple Music and News apps.
10) Storage: With the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, Apple does away (finally!) with the 16 GB variant of the iPhone. The phones will be available in storage models of 32GB, 128GB and 256GB. Basically, Apple has doubled the storage from all its previous versions. The new jet black finish will be offered exclusively on the 128GB and 256GB models from Apple website, Apple stores, Apple authorized resellers and select carriers.