Android users running “this” version advised to change their phones to browse internet smoothly

By: |
November 9, 2020 3:03 PM

Partnership of certificate authority "Let's Encrypt" with the Certificate Authority IdenTrust is going to expire on September 1, 2021.

The remaining 33.8 per cent of Android devices will start getting certificate errors whenever a user visits sites that have a Let's Encrypt certificate.

Android users still having the 7.1 or the older version will have to upgrade their software/phones. If not done, those using the older versions will not be able to browse the internet smoothly on phones. As the partnership of certificate authority “Let’s Encrypt” with the Certificate Authority IdenTrust is going to expire on September 1, 2021, there will be compatibility issues. It is to note that, launched 5 years ago, Let’s Encrypt has been relying on the IdenTrust partnership for cross signature.

According to media reports, there are no plans to renew the partnership. Now this will impact people on older Android versions as they will not be able to access any secure websites. This implies that if the device is running on a dated operating system, websites will not open. Even if they do, they will encounter many issues or they can also fail to load completely. This will happen since the device will not be having proper certificates installed. To be sure, Lets Encrypt is one of the leading certificate authorities and 30 per cent of the web domains use the certifications provided by the company.

Lets Encrypt in its blog said that after the cross-signature from IdenTrust, their “DST Root X3” had been used for a long time. “All the major software platforms trusted it already: Windows, Firefox, macOS, Android, iOS, and a variety of Linux distributions. That cross-signature allowed us to start issuing certificates right away and have them be useful to a lot of people,” the company said.

Meanwhile, the company has issued its own root certificate (“ISRG Root X1”) and has applied for it so that it can be trusted by major software platforms. So far, 66.2 per cent of Android devices are running version 7.1 or above. The remaining 33.8 per cent of Android devices will start getting certificate errors whenever a user visits sites that have a Let’s Encrypt certificate.

Those who have not upgraded their will now have to. However, users can download Firefox when they want to access the websites.

Get live Stock Prices from BSE, NSE, US Market and latest NAV, portfolio of Mutual Funds, calculate your tax by Income Tax Calculator, know market’s Top Gainers, Top Losers & Best Equity Funds. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Financial Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest Biz news and updates.

Next Stories
1Sino-US trade war: Foxconn to shift some Apple production from China to Vietnam
2This country will soon start rating gadgets on their durability and repairability aspects
3Xiaomi gives Redmi Note 9 Pro a major upgrade, adds 5G and whopping 108MP camera