The new version of Android is all set to be launched on August 21. The eighth version of its operating system will be launched on the day when the solar Eclipse will sweep across the entire United States for the first time since 1918. Google has claimed that the new technology will bring some super new powers. The launch of Android O will have a live stream from New York, which will start at 2.40 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) while Indian viewers can watch at 12.10 AM. Android O is supposed to be 8th version as the company released the first version of this operating system – Gingerbread – on 9 February 2011. Here are the top things we know about the new version of Android:
1. Android O will be launched on August 21, the day when the United States will be experiencing a historic solar eclipse for the first time since 1918. “Android O is touching down to Earth with the total solar eclipse, bringing some super (sweet) new powers!” Google said in its release.
2. A video was uploaded by Google for the August 21 release. The file name of that video was GoogleOreo_Teaser. However, the post was deleted and the file name was changed to Octopus, which was also deleted later.
3. The name was again changed to OatMealCookie_Teaser, which also didn’t last long. Currently, the file name reads Orbit_Teaser_0818.mp4. Seems like Google is facing confusion over names.
4. Based on teasers, looks like the company will follow its old tradition of giving a dessert name to its new version.
5. It had earlier released a beta version of the OS, but now the final public version is all set to launch.
6. Initially, the OS will launch for Google Pixel and Nexus smartphones, and after a few days, it will launch for other devices too.
7. The new version will have a better battery life. Background Limits, ensures there are automatic limits on apps running in the background. This feature will enable the smartphone users to save a lot of battery.
8. Under this new Picture on Picture feature, users will be able to use certain apps over other apps. So, you will be able to watch a video even while booking a cab or writing on the notepad.
9. Users will be able to create adaptive icons which will ensure better integration with the device interface. The adaptive icons mean that the icons will be displayed in various shapes, according to the mask chosen by the device.
10. Notification channels have been introduced on Android O. This feature creates new application categories for notifications.