Google Android 8.0 Oreo has officially been announced. From updates, release date, compatible phones and top features, everything you want to know.
Google Android 8.0 Oreo has officially been announced. The new version of Android OS will be coming soon for smartphones all over the world. The name, Android Oreo was leaked before, but the company confirmed it at an event in New York. The Google Android 8.0 has brought with itself, many new upgrades and features. The new updates include Picture-in-picture mode and battery optimisation among other things. Here is a quick read on when to expect the update for your smartphone, what are the new features of Android Oreo, what are the changes and everything else you wish to know.
When will Android Oreo come to your mobile?
Google, at the event, said that it has been working towards the development of Android 8.0 Oreo for over a year now. It said that the beta version of Android 8.0 has been available for the user and developer testing. The company in a blog post said, “We are pushing the sources to Android Open Source Project (AOSP) for everyone to access today.” It also said that phones like its own Pixel, Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P builds have gone for carrier testing. It added that these phones will begin to roll out in phases in the upcoming few weeks. Interestingly, even the Pixel C and Nexus Player will get the build too. If you have been running Android O beta on your Pixel, Nexus mobiles, you should have already got the final version of the software by now. It should be noted that these files can be downloaded and flashed manually.
You may like to watch this video:
What if you do not use a Pixel or Nexus phone. When will Android O come to your phone?
Google has said that work is in process with brands like Essential, Huawei, HTC, Kyocera, Motorola, HMD Global, Samsung, Sharp and Sony. It added that the launch and upgrades for these devices will come soon. Interestingly, HMD Global, which makes the Nokia branded phones, has said that it will be the first company to bring Android Oreo to its smartphones. It has already been working on the development for a long time. However, if we base it on the trend and history of Google, other smartphone users will have to wait for quite some time, before they can use the latest Android OS.
So what are the new features of Android Oreo?
Android O comes with features like ‘picture-in-picture’, improved notifications, autofill framework in Android 8.0 Oreo. Here are some top features.
1. Picture-in-picture will let users do two tasks simultaneously on any size screen, and apps like YouTube, Google Duo already support this. Essentially a user can continue watching a YouTube video and have their WhatsApp open at the same time.
2. In terms of notifications, the new notification dots will let users tap these and see what is new in the app.
3. The Autofill framework will auto fill log-in for apps where users have granted permission.
4. Developers of password manager apps can now use the new APIs to make this auto fill option available to users in other apps. Google’s Android Developer blog post says “Autofill will roll out fully over the next few weeks as part of an update to Google Play Services.”
5. Google Android 8.0 Oreo also promises improved battery life, and faster performance, with Android system minimizing background app activity.
6. Google is claiming 2X boot speed with the new OS.
7. Android 8.0 Oreo adds new limits on background location and wi-fi scans as well to improve battery capacity. Android Oreo also comes with new fonts and diverse emojis. Developers can also download these for their apps.
8. There is also “Adaptive icons” for developers, and the system “animates interactions with the icons, and uses them in the launcher, shortcuts, settings, etc.”
9. Android O will also bring “wide-gamut colour” support for apps, and this should help imaging apps, especially on devices which have a new wide-gamut colour capable display.