OnePlus has said it will no longer be producing OnePlus One smartphone with CyanogenMod to be sold in India.
Chinese handset maker OnePlus on Wednesday said it will no longer be producing the OnePlus One smartphone with CyanogenMod to be sold in India. This follows a Delhi High Court order barring it from shipping in and selling smartphones bearing the Cyanogenmod mark. Cyanogenmod now has an exclusive deal with Micromax and will launch their first smartphone in India on Thursday.
“In accordance with a judgement passed by the Delhi High Court, we will no longer be producing the OnePlus One with CyanogenMod to be sold in India. We are still fully committed to serving our users in the region and, in light of this decision, are working to find a solution that will allow us to continue operations as soon as possible,” said an official statement from OnePlus. The Shenzen-based startup said it regrets “the inconvenience this causes to OnePlus fans in India who have patiently waited for the opportunity to purchase the One”.
Livemint.com reported that the order came in a suit filed by Micromax seeking to restrain OnePlus from infringing the exclusive rights it has acquired by an “ambient services and application distributions agreement” with US-based software developing company Cyanogen.
Cyanogen, which creates aftermarket firmware based on Android, became popular with the OnePlus One phone launched earlier this year. However, days before OnePlus One’s much anticipated India launch, Cyanogen and Micromax inked a deal making the Cyanogenmod OS exclusive to the Indian manufacturer here.
At the OnePlus One launch earlier this month, OnePlus Co-founder and Director of Global Carl Pei told IndianEpxress.com that they were really surprised by the Cyanogen move as the two companies had worked together for the India launch. “We will now introduce a new OS by Friday… it will be closer to pure Android,” he had said.