After hours with Shashank Surana, Sr GM- New Product Development, DS Group.
- The job: Marketing is a vibrant field that allows a lot of creative thinking. Every day brings in new challenges and new solutions. What I really love about my job is the fact that it gives me ample opportunity to learn, strategise and be creative so as to meet customer preferences, which continue to evolve. Hence, one has to constantly be on one’s toes and devise new ways and communication to reach out to them, which is a learning process in itself.
One has to live the brand and over a period the brand tends to grow on you. I love the feeling; however sometimes you get so involved with the brand that you overlook the ground realities. This is something that I am trying to change.
- The weekdays: Health is an asset that needs to be taken care of, so I start my day with a 45-minute workout with my trainer, followed by a glass of juice which is my warm-up session for a power filled day. After a quick breakfast, while on my way to the office I catch up on my official calls and plan my day. I believe a well-planned day allows you to accomplish more. At work, the day is usually packed with meetings and sometimes with interim market visits. In between, I try to catch up with my team members to keep their spirits up. This allows me to develop a personal relationship with each member and also builds trust within the team. I try to wind up my day by 7.30 pm.
- The weekend: I try to spend my weekends with family and friends, relaxing and catching up on what I have missed during the week. I am a movie and documentary fan. I have a huge collection of documentaries from all over the world, which I try to watch during the weekends. I try to have a game of lawn tennis, squash or golf during the weekends. My Sunday mornings are booked for outdoor games with friends. To me books are sacred; I’m an avid reader and I try to read something even if it is a short read, on transit.
- The toys: I am a dedicated Apple fan. I literally live with my iPhone and iPad, and can’t do without them. They go with me wherever I go and keep me connected to my work and friends from all over the world.
- The logos: My definition of style is a mix of comfort and simplicity. Some of my current favourites are Tom Ford, Boggi, Gucci, Massimo Dutti and Pedro. I have special love for watches and my all-time favourite brand is Ulysse Nardin. I think a classy watch perfects a man’s looks.
—As told to Banasree Purkayastha