Nusli Wadia withdraws all defamation cases, including 3000 crore damage suit against Ratan Tata, others

By: |
New Delhi | Updated: January 13, 2020 3:48:47 PM

A bench headed by Chief Justice S A Bobde allowed Wadia to withdraw the petition in the apex court after the court recorded that Tata and others had no intention to defame him (Wadia).

Nusli Wadia, Bombay Dyeing, Ratan Tata, Ratan Tata defamation case, tata defamation caseThe top court had on January 6 asked Wadia and Tata to sit together and resolve their differences in the defamation case. (Reuters)

Bombay Dyeing Chairman Nusli Wadia on Monday withdrew all defamation cases including the Rs 3,000 crore suit for damages against Tata group Chairman Emeritus Ratan Tata and others. A bench headed by Chief Justice S A Bobde allowed Wadia to withdraw the petition in the apex court after the court recorded that Tata and others had no intention to defame him (Wadia). “In view of the statement made by Tata that there was no intention to defame Wadia, which is in accordance with the finding of the high court, the petitioner is hereby allowed to withdraw the present petition as well as the pending suit for damages,” the bench said.

The top court told senior advocate C A Sundaram, appearing for Wadia, that court appreciates his client for the response. The top court had on January 6 asked Wadia and Tata to sit together and resolve their differences in the defamation case. Wadia had filed a criminal defamation case against Ratan Tata and other directors of Tata Sons in 2016 after he was voted out of the boards of some Tata Group companies.

The bench, also comprising Justices B R Gavai and Surya Kant, which was initially inclined to dispose of the matter while upholding the finding of Bombay High Court that there was no intention of defamation, adjourned the matter for January 13, after counsel for Wadia said that he would like to seek instruction from his client on the separate suit filed in the matter.

Wadia had moved the apex court challenging the Bombay High Court order of last year, quashing proceedings initiated by a Mumbai local court against Tata, Tata Sons’ current chief N Chandrasekaran and eight directors in a criminal defamation case filed by him. On December 15, 2018, a magistrate court in Mumbai had issued notices to Tata and the others in the case.

Wadia filed the defamation case in 2016 after he was voted out of the boards of some Tata Group companies, and claimed that Tata and others made defamatory statements against him after they removed Cyrus Mistry on October 24, 2016 as the chairman of Tata Sons. Tata and others had then approached the high court seeking to quash and set aside the proceedings initiated against them.

Get live Stock Prices from BSE, NSE, US Market and latest NAV, portfolio of Mutual Funds, calculate your tax by Income Tax Calculator, know market’s Top Gainers, Top Losers & Best Equity Funds. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Financial Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest Biz news and updates.

Next Stories
1Waive fixed electricity charges for food processing industry during lockdown, says Harsimrat Kaur Badal
2What FMCG players need to do to thrive once coronavirus ends; innovation, adaptability key to survive
3Sony confirms PlayStation 5 will have exclusive games; all new PS4 games must be forward compatible