• Rajasthan

    Cong 99
    BJP 73
    RLM 3
    OTH 24
  • Madhya Pradesh

    Cong 112
    BJP 108
    BSP 2
    OTH 5
  • Chhattisgarh

    Cong 67
    BJP 15
    JCC 7
    OTH 0
  • Telangana

    TRS-AIMIM 95
    TDP-Cong 21
    BJP 1
    OTH 2
  • Mizoram

    MNF 26
    Cong 5
    BJP 1
    OTH 8

* Total Tally Reflects Leads + Wins

L&T plans to bid for HAM projects through subsidiary

By: | Published: June 12, 2018 5:16 AM

L&T’s decision follows a similar decision by toll roads developer IRB Infrastructure Developers, which had changed strategy midway in FY18 to also bid for HAM projects as the government was not awarding any build-operate-transfer projects due to a lack of interest by the private sector.

Larsen & Toubro, World class infrastructure, L&T, engineering and construction, Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor Development Corporation, DMICDC, India International Convention and Expo Centre, IICCL&T had refrained from bidding for HAM projects till now.

India’s largest engineering and construction firm, Larsen and Toubro (L&T), is planning to start bidding for road projects under the hybrid annuity model (HAM), introduced just two years ago. The company will bid for HAM projects through its infrastructure development subsidiary, L&T L&T Infrastructure Development Projects (IDPL), L&T IDPL’s CEO Shailesh Pathak told FE. He said, “HAM projects are more like a public-private partnership (PPP), while L&T, our parent company, is a major player in the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) segment. Hence, for any opportunities in HAM, from now on, it will be L&T IDPL as we will start bidding for these projects.”

L&T had refrained from bidding for HAM projects till now. As a result, HDFC Securities analysts wrote in a research note in April this year that the company’s share in the total value of projects awarded by the National Highways of Authority of India (NHAI) fell from 17.8% in FY15 to just 3.1% in FY18. The decision by L&T follows a similar decision by toll roads developer IRB Infrastructure Developers which had changed strategy midway in FY18 to also bid for HAM projects, as the government was not awarding any build-operate-transfer (BOT), or toll projects, due to a lack of interest by the private sector to take up such projects.

In order to expedite roads construction, the Narendra Modi government had introduced the hybrid model wherein the the government provides 40% of the cost of construction in installments, while the remaining 60% is also recoverable by the developer over the length of the concession period. In addition, the government takes over the toll collection risk.

L&T recently offloaded five road assets through a private infrastructure investment trust (InvIT), IndInfravit Trust, sponsored by L&T IDPL. L&T raised about `4,700 crore with the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB) and Allianz Capital Partners (ACP), in May, announcing they had acquired 30% and 25% of IndInfravit units, respectively. L&T IDPL holds 15% of the units.

Get live Stock Prices from BSE and NSE and latest NAV, portfolio of Mutual Funds, calculate your tax by Income Tax Calculator, know market’s Top Gainers, Top Losers & Best Equity Funds. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Switch to Hindi Edition