Herbalife, a global nutritional food company, has released the findings from the new Nutrition At Work Survey, which revealed that the majority of Asia-Pacific workforce lead largely sedentary lifestyles, putting them at risk of many lifestyle disorders like obesity, heart ailments, etc. The survey, which was designed to understand the lifestyle habits and attitudes of Asia Pacific modern workforce, was conducted in among 5,500 full-time workers in 11 Asia-Pacific marketsin the age group 18 – 60 years divided equally under both genders.
Some of the key insights from the survey are:
- Hours spent at desk on average work day: 67 % (6-9 hours) and 17% (10-12 hours). Women were more likely to claim to spend 6-9 hours, and less likely to spend less than 6 hours per day at their desk
- Frequency of eating lunch at desk: 37 % Indians spend 4-5 days a week having lunches at their desk. As compared to men, women were generally some what more likely to claim to eat lunch at their desk at least twice per week.
- Minutes of daily physical activity at work place: Around 24% Indian corporates will do physical activity for 11-20 minutes. Men generally were slightly more likely to get at least half an hour of daily physical activity in the work place.
- Obstacles to exercising/ stretching at work: 63% Indian corporates give lack of time and around 27% says it to be embarrassing to stretch at work
- Times per week engage in physical activity: 68% Indians will engage in 2-6 times of physical activity per week
- Health issues that could arise from sedentary lifestyle: Around 64% of Indians will have health issues due to gain of weight and 42% are aware about heart disease. In general, women were more likely than men to recognize the health risks from a sedentary lifestyle.
With the alarming results from the survey, organizations need to take steps to encourage employees for an active and healthy lifestyle by providing internal fitness facilities or organize group work out activities to boost up overall health. The HR department of corporate organisations should keep employee engagement program focusing on healthy and active lifestyle of employees. For e.g.: Eating healthy days, group exercising sessions, etc.
Herbalife is a global nutrition company that has been changing people lives with great products since 1980. Our nutrition, weight-management, energy and fitness and personal care products are available exclusively to and through dedicated Independent Herbalife Members in more than 90 countries. We are committed to addressing the global obesity epidemic by offering high-quality products, one-on-one coaching with a Herbalife Member and a community that inspires customers to live a healthy, active life.
We support the Herbalife Family Foundation (HFF) and its Casa Herbalife programs to help bring good nutrition to children in need. We also sponsor more than 190 world-class athletes, teams and events around the globe, including Cristiano Ronaldo, the LA Galaxy and champions in many other sports.
The company has over 8,000 employees worldwide, and its shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: HLF) with net sales of US$4.5 billion in 2015.
For more information, please visitwww.herbalife.com