Can there be a better time to celebrate a birthday for Amazon founder Jeff Bezos? The 54-year-old business tycoon became the richest man ever alive on the planet only a few days ago as he saw his personal wealth soar by $6bn (£4.4bn).
Can there be a better time to celebrate a birthday for Amazon founder Jeff Bezos? The 54-year-old business tycoon became the richest man ever alive on the planet only a few days ago as he saw his personal wealth soar by $6bn (£4.4bn). After this latest development, Jeff Bezos’ net worth now stands at $106 billion which is enough to cover Britain’s budget deficit twice over and still have change. Before Bezos, Bill Gates was the only man to have his worth in twelve figures, when his fortune hit its peak of $100 bn at the height of the dotcom bubble in 1999. On Jeff Bezos birthday, here are 10 interesting facts about Amazon boss that you probably didn’t know about:
1. Despite having billions of dollars in his bank accounts, Jeff Bezos has a reputation of staying quite tight when it comes to spending.
2. He might be the richest man and own a number of properties, Bezos’ wife novelist Mackenzie drops him to work in a 1996 Honda Accord worth around £3,000.
3. However, when it comes to big toys, Bezos isn’t a shy man. In 2015, he dropped £48million on a Gulfstream G650ER – a private jet with a range of 7,500 miles and decor closer to a Michelin star restaurant than a passenger plane.
4. Alumni of Princeton, Bezos lives at a beautiful lake house in Medina, Washington, where his neighbours include Microsoft founder Bill Gates. However, he owns many other properties across the country.
5. According to Wealth-X, Bezos had four linked apartments worth a collective £12.5million in an Art Deco building on Central Park West, New York.
6. Bezos founded ‘Blue Origin’ in 2000, a spaceflight programme which aims to take customers on 11-minute space rides.
7. The Amazon boss spends around $1billion (£740million) worth of Amazon stocks every year to fund Blue Origin, in a bid to compete with other players like Richard Branson and Elon Musk.
8. The reusable rocket and capsule is designed to carry passengers 100 miles above the Earth so they can experience weightlessness and see the curvature of the planet set against the blackness of space.
9. The Amazon boss spent a whopping $1.6million (£1.1million) on private security in 2016, according to a Fortune report of April, 2017. This money was in addition to the security already provided to him at Amazon facilities.
10. However, Amazon justified the move by pointing out to Bezos’ relatively low salary which comes around just $81,840 (£60,000) and the fact he did not receive stock options that year.