Stating that US Congressman have maintained that India is the biggest strategic partner, Nasscom Chairman C P Gurnani on Friday said that US President Donald Trump has not made any India-adverse announcements. In a conversation with CNBC TV18 he said, “IT hiring is going to be lower in FY18. Required skills in IT jobs need to be reinvented”. “November guidance of 8-10% remains until we revise it,” he added. Incidentally, Nasscom had deferred in providing a guidance for the next financial year due to uncertainties and slowdown in discretionary spending. The industry body has not made any forecast for fiscal 2018, citing political uncertainties in the US and Europe, which has slowed down decision-making in tech spending.
Incidentally, a team from the Nasscom office just returned from the US after meeting the officials from President Donald Trump office to ensure a free flow of skilled manpower. “We have shared our views with them that the Indian IT industry is a large contributor to job creation in the US and we bring skills in areas where there is a huge skill deficit,” an industry official told FE.
In January, following reports suggesting that US President Donald trump is set to sign a new executive order aimed at overhauling H- 1B and other work visas, NASSCOM said that the Lofgren Bill contains provisions which might be challenging for the Indian IT sector and might also leave loopholes that will nullify the objective of saving American jobs. In an official statement, NASSCOM stated that it will be engaging with the US administration and legislators both directly and through the Government of India.
You may also like to watch:
The $150-billion domestic IT industry body Nasscom is pinning hopes on a deeper engagement between the heads of both the countries to help tide over its current troubles, Gurnani had earlier said adding that the Trump government is consistently in favor of highly-skilled workers.