A young doctor from Delhi who was allegedly kidnapped by an Ola driver on the first day of his duty was rescued on Wednesday evening from Meerut
A young doctor from Delhi who was allegedly kidnapped by an Ola driver on the first day of his duty was rescued on Wednesday evening from Meerut, according to a report by The Indian Express. The report added that police also traded fire briefly with those holding him captive. The local police have arrested four people in the same case and confirmed that they were demanding Rs 5 crore ransom for releasing the doctor. Intriguingly, these men did not ask for ransom from doctor’s family but from the Ola CEO. Police also added that the driver used forged documents to partner with Ola. Here is what happened:
1. According to the details given by police, the 29-year-old Akkala Srikanth Goud is a doctor at the Metro Hospital and Cancer Institute in east Delhi. He hails from Jogulamba Gadwal district in Telangana and is now being brought back to Delhi.
2. On July 6, Srikanth went out with two of his friends after finishing work. He had dinner at the Radisson Blu in Kaushambi. Srikanth was dropped at the Preet Vihar Metro station by his friends after the dinner.
3. As per the police, Srikanth went inside the metro station at 10:55 pm and came out a few minutes later. “He went in at 10.55 pm but emerged a few minutes later. He then booked an Ola cab to go to Gautam Nagar,” a police officer said.
4. On July 7, Srikanth did not report for work. When one of his friends Hemant tried to call him, someone else answered. After failing to trace Srikanth, Hemant decided to lodge a complaint.
5. Meanwhile, the kidnappers called Ola customer care from Srikanth’s mobile phone and asked for the CEO. Pranay Jivrajka, the founding partner at Ola, said they were thankful to police, and the doctor’s family and his friends for their cooperation.