Bharti Airtel’s fiscal fourth quarter net profit plunged and revenue fell on-year as India’s largest telecommunication services company’s aggressive tariff offers to counter relentless competition hurt earnings.
Bharti Airtel’s fiscal fourth quarter net profit plunged 71.7% and revenue fell 8.8% on-year on underlying basis as India’s largest telecommunication services company’s aggressive tariff offers to counter relentless competition from Reliance Jio hurt earnings. The ongoing tariff war in the telecommunication sector led to a sharp fall in the money earned per customer.
“The sustained predatory pricing by the new operator has led to a decline in revenue growth for the second quarter in a row. The telecom industry as a whole also witnessed a revenue decline for the first time ever on a full year basis.,” Bharti Airtel’s India and South Asia MD and CEO Gopal Vittal said in statement, in an obvious reference to Reliance Jio.
Here are the key figures from Bharti Airtel’s fourth quarter results for the last financial year 2016-17:
- Consolidated net profit at Rs 373 crore; down 71.7% on-year; down 26% on-quarter
- Consolidated total revenue at Rs 21,935 crore; down 8.8% on-year on underlying basis; down 6% on-quarter
- Consolidated EBITDA at Rs 7,993 crore; down 13% on-year; down 6.7% on-quarter
- Consolidated EBITDA margin at 36.4%; down from 36.8% previous year; down from 36.7% previous quarter
- Consolidated EBIT at Rs 2,964 crore; down 31.37% on-year; down 19.33% on-quarter
- India total revenue at Rs 17,036 crore; down 7% on-year from Rs 18,328 crore
- India mobile revenue at Rs 12,972 crore; down 11% on-year from Rs 14,647 crore
- India mobile customers at 273.65 million; up 8.9% on-year; up 2.9% on-quarter
- India mobile ARPU at Rs 158; down 18.9% on-year; down 8.4% on-quarter
- India mobile voice ARPU at Rs 114; down 17.2% on-year; down 7.2% on-quarter
- India mobile non-voice revenue at 27.5% of mobile services; down from 28.4% previous quarter
- India mobile data revenue at 21.5% of mobile services; down from 22.8% previous quarter
- India mobile data broadband customers at 42.72 million; up 20.5% on-year; up 13.3% on-quarter
- India mobile data ARPU at Rs 162; down 17.3% on-year; down 7% on-quarter
- India mobile data traffic at 225.11 billions MBs; up 53.4% on-year; up 31% on-quarter
- India mobile data usage per customer at 1,331 MBs; up 55% on-year; up 36.9% on-quarter