E-commerce is a very interesting and exciting space to be in. The competition is really fierce and somewhere we chose to become...
After Hours: Manu Grover, Founder, HealthGenie.in
1. The job: E-commerce is a very interesting and exciting space to be in. The competition is really fierce and somewhere we chose to become a niche within niche brand. I thrive on challenges and the e-commerce space is very scientific and innovative and is constantly evolving with its dynamics changing each day. The nature of the sector keeps me intrigued and interested while pushing me to ideate, innovate and improvise the services for the end user. In the e-commerce space, one needs to be really unique to be able to attract customers. Being bootstrapped with limited resources, while trying to bring out the uniqueness of our brand and carving out a niche for ourselves in an over-funded market makes it even more interesting for us. We believe in only competing with us.
2. The weekdays: My weekdays are usually very hectic, as on an average I work 12-13 hours daily. A usual day is packed with internal and external meetings, brainstorming on problems, strategising and checking operational efficiency. At home after dinner, I steal two uninterrupted quality hours to review the day’s reports, possible corrections, optimisation, researching on newer ideas and other grey areas to be able to explore scope for improvisation. This helps me set up the agenda for the next day not only for myself but for my entire team so that we have absolute clarity on the task. Planning also helps me ensure better utilisation of my time while helping me prioritise. Our team at Healthgenie.in is an extremely energetic bunch of people working towards a common vision. We believe in inspiring each other and passing on that energy to each other. I also at times take some time out to watch movies to unwind myself.
3. The weekend: Weekends are totally ‘me and family’ time. I take my wife and kids out for lunch or we do some activity together. I am a big movie and sitcom buff so the rest of the weekends, you will find me lazing on my couch watching those. I keep it as simple as that so that I am rejuvenated enough to kickstart yet another crazy week.
4. The toys: I just can’t do without my PS, BMW 525d , iPad and iPhone.
5. The logos: I am not much of a brand conscious person. The design and make of things is the factor which helps me lean towards what I buy, rather than any brand name. I am also a techie guy who loves machines. So I love driving my BMW. The brands that I find myself picking up are Gucci, Hermes, Prada, Boss and Armani Exchange, A&F, Hollister and Zara.
—As told to Banasree Purkayastha