Fiat Abarth Punto hatchback has been priced at Rs 9.95 lakh (ex-showroom) in India on launch, which was on Monday. The Abarth Punto is a stunner in looks and will pose a strong challenge to rival hatchbacks. We went more than skin deep to check out, first hand, what the newest car to hit Indian roads is all about. Fiat Abarth Punto is available in two colours – Pearl white and Hip Hop black. Here are 5 facts about the car that set it apart from other hatchbacks in this price category:
1. Fiat Abarth Punto Brakes: The car is equipped with disc brakes on all four wheels which is a segment exclusive feature. Fiat says, “This might be a lean, mean, racing machine, but it is not at the expense of safety – after all, with great power comes a great need to stop on a dime.”
2. Fiat Abarth Punto Steering: The car comes with Hydraulic Power Steering for greater control at turns and while driving. Abarth Punto has been provided with ABS and EBD to ensure stability at high speed.
3. Fiat Abarth Punto Speed: As claimed by the automaker, this is the fastest car in its segment. This ‘hottest hatch’ can achieve a speed of 0 -100 km in just 8.8 seconds, said the company and it still manages to offer a mileage of 16.3 km/l.
4. Fiat Abarth Punto Engine: The car is powered by 1.4L T-jet petrol engine with power of 145 bhp and torque of 212 Nm. The engine has 16 valves and five-speed manual transmission capacity.
5. Fiat Abarth Punto Wheels: Fiat has given the Abarth Punto 16 inch scorpion sting shaped alloy wheels, which make it look attractive. Abarth Punto has a wheelbase of 2510 mm and ground clearance of 155 mm.