American automobile giant General Motors has recently revealed the second generation Chevrolet Cruze sedan.
American automobile giant General Motors has recently revealed the second generation Chevrolet Cruze sedan. With competition from Ford, Mazda, Hyundai, Honda and Toyota, this car is either going to make or break the fortunes of GM in the passenger car business. The updated version of Chevrolet Cruze is almost a new package with all the styling having been done on features, design and engines. It will be available early next year and will first be launched in North America and slowly to the 39 other nations GM sells its cars in. Here are top points powering Chevrolet Cruze:
1. Light on its Feet: The new Chevrolet Cruze is lighter by 250 pounds than its predecessor. Despite the weight loss, it is longer by 68mm from the older model, has more passenger space and an additional knee space of 51mm at the rear. To give it a sleeker look, the overall height has been reduced by 25mm. The wheelbase is the longest in its segment that stands at 2700mm. With such less weight and increase in length, it is commendable on the part of GM to have added stylish features, pack safety and make it roomy for the passengers. The drop in weight should also add to the fuel efficiency going up and easy handling and manoeuvring of the car.
2. Features: The new Chevrolet Cruze is sleeker, more stylish and flamboyant than its old muscular version. The new headlamps are now LED projector headlights with LED day-time running lights. With 15-18 inches alloy wheels and the rear fast sloping profile, it is totally a new car in look and feel. Overall, the car from exteriors shows new design philosophy of the company without any ruggedness but the same flamboyance is still there.
3. Spacious and Comfortable: One of the most notable changes inside the car is the additional amount of knee space and added leg room that should provide good comfort and relaxing long drives to its passengers. It is going to be the longest car in its segment, with a massive boot space. The wheelbase of Chevrolet Cruze is as long as Mercedes CLA250.
4. Tech Specs: GM has mentioned the new Cruze will get 7-inch touchscreen MyLink infotainment system and an optional 8 inch. For gadget freaks, this car is like a dream to drive while playing on either your Apple device or Android, as the infotainment system has built-in Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Wireless phone charging has also been added. The instrumentation cluster will have 4.2-inch diagonal high-resolution driver information system. The top trims will get heated rear leather seats and heated leather-wrapped steering wheel.
5. Safety: Previously some of the Chevrolet cars have not done too well on the safety aspects. So, keeping the previous glitches in mind and under control, GM has decided to go all out and score brownie points especially with nervous customers and make them feel safe and secure in their car. Cruze will have 10 airbags, Electronic Stability Program and ABS, as standard features in all trims. There will be four wheel disc brake, rear-view camera for easier reverse parking, side blind zone alert, rear cross traffic alert, lane keep assist and forward collision alert.
6. Engine: The Chevrolet Cruze power will come from a new 1.4 litre petrol engine which churns out 153bhp and maximum torque of 240Nm, mated to 6-speed manual transmission or either 6-speed automatic gearbox. The car can go from 0-100kmph in about 8 seconds of time. With light weight, GM claims Cruze will give 17kmpl on highways, which is quite impressive for a sedan of this type. As of now, there aren’t any reports about the launch of the diesel engine. But rumour mills are abuzz with a new 1.6 litre powertrain may be replacing the current 2.0 liter diesel engine which reportedly consumes a lot of fuel.
With its launch in the U.S. in early 2016, we expect it comes to the Indian shores sometime in later half of 2016.