After Hours with Kenichiro Hibi, Managing Director, Sony India
1. The job: I travel more than 15 days in a month and it’s the core for me, I absolutely love travelling. I have been an avid explorer and travel enthusiast since my youth and even before coming to India as managing director, I first came here as a backpacker when I was 21. I packed my bags one fine day and came to India as I had read a lot about it.
Apart from this, I love to try new cuisines and again with the amount of travel involved while on the job, I get the opportunity to try out new delicacies and local cuisines whenever I am in a new place.
Another aspect about my job that I really enjoy is interacting with different people and learning about their culture—be it colleagues, peers, team members or customers. It helps me identify and see various facets of human personality which can be challenging and exciting, both at the same time.
I am absolutely enjoying the phase that we as a company are going through, though sometimes I feel there is so much to achieve and yet so little time; there are days when I feel that 24 hours in a day is not enough and wish I could add more to it and help Sony India reach greater and newer heights.
2. The weekdays: My day starts early and I like to follow a fitness routine in the mornings. I am a black belt in karate and give a lot of importance to leading a healthy lifestyle. I am in office by 9 am and the day goes by in back to back meetings with my team members. I try to make time to speak with the employees to understand their motivation factors and interests, and then work towards it, if possible. It’s interesting to interact with our trade partners, understand their needs and be able to work in tandem. Everyday is a challenging yet fulfilling experience.
3. The weekend: I love being on the road, observing people, exploring new places and trying new cuisines and I try to grab every opportunity to do so at work and otherwise. I love to take short trips on some weekends with my wife and have recently visited the Taj in Agra and Amer Fort in Jaipur. When I am at home I watch Hindi movies with subtitles. I am a huge Bollywood fan and enjoy all genres of Hindi cinema. Recently I watched Queen and had a great time.
4. The toys: I can’t imagine my life without my phone and currently I am using an Xperia Z3. It’s a gadget I swear by and it makes my life so much simpler. I multi-task on the move, go through presentations and e-mails all the time. Also my phone is my stress-buster with all the entertainment I enjoy on it— I download Hindi movies and songs, enjoy gaming, capture memories and communicate with my friends and family through it.
5. The logos: Needless to say I love the Sony brand but the other brand I like is Mercedes, which I currently own. I think it is the perfect machine for me, it’s a brand that believes in excellence, performance and quality and is an example of skilled workmanship. Other brands that work for me are Brioni in clothes and Cartier for watches.
—As told to Banasree Purkayastha