1. The job: There can be nothing one hates about running a business that has got to do with dating! The fact that one is making a difference at a social level, by giving women a choice to choose who they want to be with, is itself very exhilarating. I connect with the youth and other young entrepreneurs on a daily basis and that is a lot of fun.
2. The weekdays: The day starts early at the gym followed by a quick breakfast and then I am off to work. Getting out of Gurgaon is the worst part of the day. I live in a complex that looks like Singapore from the inside, but as soon as one drives out it’s like Kabul. Gurgaon seems bombed out and excavated, the worst example of how to build and develop a new city. I am in office by 9.20 am. A typical day is spent meeting the team, going through member feedback, meeting agencies and content partners. The daily team lunch is an important part of the day; since it’s a small team we manage to eat at the same time. Most days are a breeze and it’s 8 pm before one realises it. I go through tons of articles, research, studies on relationships, new social apps, app eco-system, etc., till after dinner and then call it a day.
3. The weekend: Weekends involve a bit of work too interviewing candidates and we end up working half days on some weekends. Else, it’s hanging out at typical youth haunts to hear the buzz and see how they engage socially. As a matter of fact, one of our core features, where women can share profiles of guys with other girls for an opinion, was introduced after we observed a similar behaviour at cafes in the evenings, where girls were showing their best friends profiles of guys they had received!
4. The toys: I was a big Apple fan, but no more. Apple is efficient but boring. I would rather buy a cool Android phone at half the price and change it every few months. But yes, I do swear by my MacBook Air still and carry that around and noise cancelling headphones. And yes, my pride and joy, my Nespresso coffee maker.
5. The logos: I am not much of a brand loyalist but I use Uber and Amazon’s app, Urban Ladder and sneakers by Onitsuka Tigers.
—As told to Banasree Purkayastha