The state produces 7,515.14 lakh kg of buffalo meat, 1171.65 lakh kg of goat meat, 230.99 lakh kg of sheep meat, and 1410.32 lakh kg of pig meat in 2014-15. The above figures also include those from meat processing plants in the state.
1.The state produces 7,515.14 lakh kg of buffalo meat, 1171.65 lakh kg of goat meat, 230.99 lakh kg of sheep meat, and 1410.32 lakh kg of pig meat in 2014-15. The above figures also include those from meat processing plants in the state.
2. There are 72 government approved abattoirs-cum-meat processing plants/standalone abattoirs in India at present; 38 of them in Uttar Pradesh alone.
- Punjab Election 2022: AAP's Raghav Chadha says Navjot Singh Sidhu is 'Rakhi Sawant' of Punjab politics
- 'Beware of EVMs and DMs': Akhilesh Yadav asks party workers to 'save' polling booths from BJP's 'evil eye'
- BJP kicks off 14-day 'Seva aur Samarpan' Abhiyan to mark PM Narendra Modi's birthday, 20 years in public life
3. The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) released its list of government approved slaughterhouses, there were only 30 across the country, but over half of them were based in Uttar Pradesh. In its 2014 notification, the APEDA approved list increased to 53 abattoirs in the country. The following year 11 more were added to the list, taking it to 62 overall. At present, out of the 38 slaughterhouses — 7 in Aligarh, 5 in Ghaziabad — 37 produce and export buffalo meat.
You may also like to watch:
4. In 2016, India exported 13,14,158.05 metric tons of buffalo meat worth Rs 26,681.56 crores to the world.
5. The major destinations for its exports are Muslim-majority countries such as Malaysia, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Iraq.
6. The ban could lead to a deficit of at least Rs 11,350 crore (2015-16) in terms of revenue from exports. In 2015-16, Uttar Pradesh exported 5,65,958.20 metric tons of buffalo meat.
(Department of animal husbandry, Uttar Pradesh)