Newly appointed Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath addressed the members of Parliament in Lok Sabha today. Unlike the popular perception of him being a firebrand leader, Yogi won hearts with his wit and made even the opposition leaders laugh to his sense of humour. Just two days after taking the oath of the Uttar Pradesh CM, Yogi came to Delhi to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi to discuss strategies for running the UP government as well as to resign from the membership of the lower House of the Parliament.
Here are 10 interesting things Yogi said in the Parliament today. His today’s speech also shows that Yogi is in the Uttar Pradesh politics for a long run and committed to fulfill all promises to people.
- “I am one year younger than respected Rahul Gandhiji and a year elder than Akhilesh Yadav. I think I came between their pair, it may be because of your failures,” Yogi joked to Congress leader Mallikarjun Kharge.
- “Uttar Pradesh Assembly election result is a slap in the face of people who misled people in the name of development.”
- “When I came here for the first time in 1998, I was just 26 years old and thin. I then met Union minister Surjeet Singh Barnala who told me that he had visited Gorakhpur once, but bombs were thrown when he visited and he ran away and never went to Gorakhpur again. This was the image of Gorakhpur then. I went back and talked to all sections of people in Gorakhpur. Since then, there has been not such incident.”
- “In last 15 years, no businessman had to pay goonda tax, no doctor was kidnapped in Gorakhpur. There was no riot in eastern UP. Soon this will become true about entire Uttar Pradesh.”
- “We will work for the development of each citizen of Uttar Pradesh and all regions of the state.”
- I will invite everyone (members of Parliament) to Uttar Pradesh. UP will be the state of dreams of respected Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- “We will develop such a model of development in UP that youth would not have to go to other states for work, women would not feel unsafe.”
- “You will see, a lot of things are going to end in Uttar Pradesh.”
- “In the past state govt (of UP) did not utilise most of the funds allocated by the central govt.”
- “PM Narendra Modi has become a worldwide icon for the work he has done as Prime Minister.”
- “This government (Centre) has worked for all sections of society without any discrimination: CM Yogi Adityanath in Lok Sabha.”
After speaking in Lok Sabha, Yogi talked to media about the Supreme Court suggestion to solve the Ayodhya Ram Temple issue amicably. Welcoming the suggestion, Yogi said his government would provide all necessary help to facilitate the mediation and help resolve this issue. “We welcome SC observation; both sides must sit down and find a solution,” he said.
(With agency inputs)