Rebel Janata Dal-United leaders Sharad Yadav and Ali Anwar on Monday suffered big setback when their membership in the Rajya Sabha was cancelled by Vice-President Venkaiah Naidu. The Rajya Sabha Chairman disqualified Yadav and Anwar, party leader RCP Singh said. The disqualification comes against a petition from Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar in which he asked Rajya Sabha Chairman to cancel memberships of Yadav and Ansari. Yadav is currently in Gujarat to campaign for the party in the assembly elections. The JDU faction led by him is contesting on the symbol of Bharatiya Rashtriya Tribal Party on seven out of 182 seats. Reacting on the issue, Sharad Yadav confirmed that a notice was served to him in Delhi. “I was informed by my wife that a notice has been served late in night at around 10 p.m.,” he said. Yadav further informed that the notice is over 15 pages, he shall comment on it after going through it in morning. In a big turn of events,Yadav and Anwar had broken out of the JD-U after Nitish Kumar announced an alliance with the Bharatiya Janata Party this year.
Here are the events that led to disqualification of Sharad Yadav and Ali Anwar from Rajya Sabha:
– In July, Nitish Kumar and Sharad Yadav parted ways after former decided to join hands with the BJP. This triggered a battle for the control of the party.
– Sharad Yadav approached election commission to stake claims on party symbol of bow and arrow.
– Election Commission rejected Sharad Yadav faction’s claim over the party’s name and election symbol.
– The EC ruled that the group led by Kumar “has demonstrated overwhelming majority support” in the legislature wing as well as the majority in the national council of the party, which is the apex organisational body of the JD(U).
– Sharad Yadav termed the decision as “not in conformity with justice”.
– Later, Sharad Yadav announced that his faction of the JD(U) will fight the Gujarat Assembly polls on ‘autorickshaw’ symbol and in alliance with the Congress.
– On September 6, JD(U) floor leader Ram Chandra Prasad Singh along with party colleague Sanjay Jha filed a petition seeking Yadav and Anwar’s disqualification. It’s worth mentioning here that Sharad Yadav was elected to Rajya Sabha previous year and his tenure ends in 2022.
– Vice-President Venkaiah Naidu cancelled Sharad Yadav and Ali Anwar’s membership as Rajya Sabha MPs.
– However, Yadav can return to the House if Bihar RJD chief Lalu Prasad prefers to choose him during the biennial polls
On what grounds were they disqualified
As per Facebook post by RCP Singh, Venkaiah Naidu decided to disqualify Ali Anwar Ansari and Sharad Yadavji under the 10th schedule of the Constitution of India that the Respondent, Sharad Yadav and Ali Anwar Ansari have incurred disqualification for being a Member of the House in terms of paragraph 2 (1)(a) of the 10th Schedule to the Constitution of India. Both of them have thus ceased to be a Member of the Rajya Sabha with immediate effect. I decide and declare accordingly.