R Sreelekha who is also known as ‘raid’ Sreelekha got her name registered in the history books by becoming Kerala’s first woman IPS officer in 1987. Now, she is set to be appointed as Kerala’s first woman DGP. The decision was taken by the Cabinet on Wednesday which decided to promote Sreelekha along with three other ADGPs, namely Tomin J Thachankary (DG, Fire and Rescue Services), Arun Kumar Sinha (currently on Central deputation) and Sudesh Kumar (Armed Police Battalion). Here is all you need to know about here:
1. During her career, Sreelekha has registered many firsts to her name. In 1990, she became the first woman to become superintendent of police in the state.
2. She currently holds the post of ADGP (Prisons), worked as a lecturer and with the Reserve Bank before she tried her luck in the civil services examination.
3. She managed to crack the exam in 1986, becoming the first woman IPS officer from the Kerala cadre.
4. She served as the district chiefs of Thrissur, Alappuzha and Pathanamthitta before moving on to the CBI. Due to her role in the CBI raid teams that searched premises of influential persons, she got the title of ‘raid’ Sreelekha.
5. In 2005, Sreelekha was appointed as the Inspector General (IG) and later headed the Kerala State Co-operative Rubber Marketing Federation Ltd. She also headed the vigilance and anti-corruption bureau as ADGP and received the President’s Police Medal for distinguished service in 2013.
Apart from her services, Sreelekha has also authored several books in Malayalam, three of them on crime investigation. She is also known for her efforts to bring in gender parity in the state’s police force with more women in the top echelons. She also served as the Transport Commissioner of the state and has been credited with reducing fatalities on the road and introducing better safety parameters that were implemented strictly