Uttar Pradesh BSP MLA Mukhtar Ansari, the mafia-don-turned politician, suffered a heart attack on Tuesday morning when his wife, Afsa Ansari, arrived to meet him in Banda jail where he is incarcerated. As per media reports, Mukhtar complained of pain in his chest while talking to his wife, who also suffered the attack on seeing Ansari suffering. Mukhtar is reported to have other medical conditions like diabetes, hypertension as well. Ansari — a five-time MLA from Mau — was reportedly unwell for several days. The couple was taken to district hospital at Banda in serious condition. Ansari was later taken to Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Hospital in Lucknow. State Principal Secretary Home, Arvind Kumar, said he had asked for a joint report from the Banda District Magistrate and Superintendent of Police about Ansari’s condition, adding that he would be provided with the “best possible medical care”.
Here is all about gangster-turned-politician Mukhtar Ansari
1. Famously known as Tipu, Mukhtar Ansari was born in Ghazipur, Uttar Pradesh.
2. Mukhtar Ansari joined Makhanu Singh gang in the early 1980s.
3. His gang got control of ₹100 crore contract business, which spanned areas such as coal mining, railway construction, scrap disposal, public works and liquor business.
4. By early 1990s, Mukhtar Ansari became popular for his criminal activities, especially in districts of Mau, Ghazipur, Varanasi and Jaunpur.
6. He entered politics around 1995. Ansari used the Muslim vote bank to ensure his victory during the elections in the Ghazipur-Mau area. Consequently, he became an MLA in 1996.
7. Mukhtar Ansari and his brother Afzal joined the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) in 2007. The BSP chief Mayawati famously called him “a messiah of the poor”.
8. In 2010, Ansari was booked for the murder of Ram Singh Maurya, who was a witness to the murder of Mannat Singh, a local contractor allegedly killed by Ansari’s gang in 2009.
9. After being expelled from BSP for being involved in criminal activities and being rejected by other political parties, the three Ansari brothers (Mukhtar, Afzal and Sibkatillah) formed their own political party called Quami Ekta Dal (QED), in 2010.
10. On 26 January 2017, Ansari rejoined Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), before the 2017 Uttar Pradesh Legislative elections.
Mukhtar Ansari has been in prison since 2006 and has been in Banda jail for the past eight months. After Yogi Adiyanath government came to power in 2017, Ansari was shifted first to Unnao Jail and then to Banda jail from Lucknow. Notably, he has been elected as a Member of Legislative Assembly from the Mau constituency a record five times.