Three complaints were filed with the state Lokayukta against Prajapati in 2015, accusing him of amassing wealth disproportionate to his known sources of income and sheltering illegal mining in the state. However, the inquiries were closed for lack of evidence.
Gayatri Prajapati is the same man who was ridiculed by the Prime Minister again and again during his campaign trail. He talked about him saying that can rape accused be a minister in the Uttar Pradesh government. He lost in the assembly elections from Amethi and was absconding and was arrested on Wednesday. He has been a favourite of Mulayam Singh but Akhilesh Yadav in his election campaign refused to acknowledge him. His closeness to Mulayam Singh was because he has money power, and belongs to the most Backward Caste (MBC).
Here are some facts:
1. Prajapati was a local contractor who rose to the position of a minister in the Mulayam Singh Cabinet.
2. A below poverty line turned crorepati, he came under the scanner of Lokayukta for misusing his position to amass disproportionate wealth.
3. Prajapati was inducted into Akhilesh Yadav’s ministry in February 2013 as Minister of State for Irrigation and, in July of the same year he was given independent charge of mining. In January 2014, he was promoted to Cabinet Minister as the SP tried to reach out to the backward Kumhar caste which has good numbers across the state but remains under-represented in politics.
4. Three complaints were filed with the state Lokayukta against Prajapati in 2015, accusing him of amassing wealth disproportionate to his known sources of income and sheltering illegal mining in the state. However, the inquiries were closed for lack of evidence.
5. After he got the portfolio as mining minister, he came under Allahabad High Court scrutiny for illegal mining. For sometime following that he was divested of his portfolio, but reinducted soon afterward.
6. He was accused of raping a woman. A woman from Bundelkhand had alleged that Prajapati, along with his associates raped her at his official residence. According to the woman, the Minister and his associates used pictures of the gangrape to blackmail her.