Blue Whale Game is a notorious online challenge which pushes people, especially teenagers into committing suicide. In India, three teenagers have reportedly committed suicide and two of them have been rescued just before they took that step. It has been reported that around 130-150 suicides have taken place in Russia and many central Asian countries like Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan. This game is believed to have 50 steps, which leads innocent teens to the final step of suicide. The game, said to have been originated in Russia, gives dangerous tasks to the participants, each tougher than the last. The last step is taking your own life. After the reported incidents in India, people have been requesting the government to take some steps regarding this. As a response, major tech giants like Facebook, Google, WhatsApp, Instagram, Yahoo and Microsoft have been asked to remove the game for their portals. Here is a look at all the major incidents which have taken place in India, which is suspected to have been linked with the Blue Whale Game.
1. Kerela: A 16-year-old from Kerala, fell victim of the dangerous dare, according to his mother. Manoj, the young boy was found hanging in his home on July 26. While, the family had initially told the police that the suicide was a result of failed relationships and scoldings by his mother, just three days ago, the boy’s mother filed a fresh complaint, saying the Blue Whale challenge could be a reason for his death. In another case in the state, an ITI student who committed suicide in Kannur last May reportedly used to play the deadly game, according to Manorama Online.
2. Maharashtra: A 14-year-old boy jumped off from the seventh floor of a building in Mumbai on July 26 evening is another suspected case of Blue Whale suicide game. The deceased, Manpreet, was a class nine student in a school in Andheri East. While locals said he played the Blue Whale game, the police said they are checking Manpreet’s cell phone and computer to ascertain the same.
3. West Bengal: Ankan Dey, a 15-year-old teenager from West Midnapore, West Bengal, was the first suspected Blue Whale victim in India. The teenager committed suicide in the bathroom of his house on Saturday morning, August 12, according to reports. While the police are probing if the teen played the Blue Whale challenge, there were reports that Ankan was addicted to online games.
4. Maharashtra: A 14-year-old Solapur boy who left home to allegedly complete a task assigned to him in the Blue Whale game was rescued by the police on August 10 on his way to Pune. “As soon as we were informed by our counterparts in Solapur, we intercepted the bus and rescued the boy, who was on his way to complete a task given by the Blue Whale Challenge game,” a Bhigwan police station officer had told IE.
5. Madhya Pradesh: A 13-year-old was rescued by his friends when he tried to jump off the third floor of his Indore school on August 10. Additional SP Rupesh Kumar Dwivedi said, “We think he was tense in the last couple of days, thinking about committing suicide to accomplish the final 50th task of the game.”