Valmiki Jayanti Day 2017: Valmiki Jayanti is a celebration that marks the birth anniversary of the great author and sage, Maharishi Valmiki.
Valmiki Jayanti Day 2017: Valmiki Jayanti is a celebration that marks the birth anniversary of the great author and sage, Maharishi Valmiki. Every year, Valmiki Jayanti falls on full moon day which is known as Purnima, during the month of Ashwin whereas in the Gregorian calendar it corresponds to the month of September-October, reported India.com. This year, the day has fallen on October 5. The day is also referred to as Pragat Diwas. Valmiki is revered as the first poet of Sanskrit literature. He penned the epic Ramayana which consists of 24,000 verses and 7 cantos (Kandas) including the Uttara canto, as per the report by India.com.
There are several Valmiki temples in India, but the most prominent one is known to be situated in Chennai. Take a look at some interesting facts about the Maharishi Valmiki Temple:
• The Maharishi Valmiki temple situated in Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai.
• The temple stands on the East Coast Road in the aptly named Valmiki Nagar.
• Valmiki temple is believed to be around 1300 years old.
• It is believed that after writing the epic Ramayana, Maharishi Valmiki rested at the spot where the Valmiki temple now stands, reported India.com.
• The Valmiki temple now falls under the supervision of the Maruntheeshwarar temple that was constructed during the Chola reign, is another prominent temple in the city.
• It is believed that sage Valmiki visited the Marundeeswarar temple to worship Lord Shiva following which the region was named Thiruvalmikiyur which gradually changed to Thiruvanmiyur.
How to reach Valmiki Temple
Valmiki Temple is just 4 km from Mylapore. To reach the temple, Chennai Central Railway Station is the nearest major railhead. As far as roadways are concerned, the connectivity to the temple is pretty good via roads. Several buses run between Mylapore/Chennai Central Railway Station to Thiruvanmiyur.