The Uttarakhand government on Saturday issued tourist helplines for the Char Dham pilgrims. The numbers are: 0135-2559898 ,2552626, 2552627,2552628 and 1364. Meanwhile, the secretary of Disaster Management of Uttarakhand told ANI that they were monitoring the situation on a continuous basis and have evacuated at least 200-250 tourists. He said that situation was normal in Badrinath but added that around 1000-1500 people had been affected and the Border Roads Organisation was continuously working to open the roads. The landslide had caused the Rishikesh-Badrinath National Highway to be blocked.
PTI had reported the District Collector Ashish Joshi saying that the Border Roads Organisation working continuously working to clear the roads. He had said that the roads could be opened up by Saturday afternoon. Joshi had told reporters that the authorities were making every effort possible to provide all the facilities to the stranded pilgrims at Joshimath, Karnaprayag, Pipalkoti, Govindghat and Badrinath.
Uttarakhand has been a region prone to landslides and has seen severe floods in the last couple of years. According to the Indian Express, heavy rains had caused several cloudbursts, killing 30 people and washing away many houses in the state. Following the flood, the water level had risen in the Nandaprayag area. In 2015, about 500 pilgrims had been stranded at Badrinath after a landslide had blocked the road near Joshimath in Chamoli. Even 2017 saw the wrath of nature in the state when a landslide took place before the commencement of the Badrinath Yatra on April 26, at the underground Vishnuprayag Hydroelectric Power House in Hathi Parbat. In 2013, the state witnessed flash floods and landslides which were considered the worst natural disaster in the country since the Tsunami in 2004.