Two years of Modi government: In a power-packed press conference Congress leaders Ghulam Nabi Azad, Kapil Sibal, Mallikarjun Kharge and Randeep Surjewala accused the Modi government of making false promises.
In a scathing attack on NDA, Congress on Thursday questioned the lack of ‘acche din’ for India on the two year anniversary of the Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led government. “Are these acche din or sachhe din?” Congress leaders asked. “They (Modi government) are selling dreams meant for the rich,” Congress said.
In a power-packed press conference Congress leaders Ghulam Nabi Azad, Kapil Sibal, Mallikarjun Kharge and Randeep Surjewala accused the Modi government of making false promises and held them responsible for ‘poor’ economic indicators.
Congress hit out at the Modi government saying, “In your two years the only achievements are creation of social tension, controversial statements by your MPs and leaders and fear among minorities.” “It was said that Manmohan Singh ji doesn’t speak much. But I would like to say that his work spoke. In case of Modi ji, he himself speaks a lot – gives a speech every 45 hours – but his work doesn’t speak,” Kapil Sibal said.
We take a look at ten things Congress leaders highlighted as Modi government’s failures on the two year anniversary of NDA government.
1) The industry is stagnating, exports have been consistently falling and inflation, particularly food inflation, is very high
2) PM Modi had promised to create crores of jobs, but according to the latest data by the Labour Ministry, job creation was just 1.34 lakh in 2015. Job creation is lost because of NDA government. We (UPA) gave employment to 12 lakh people in 2009, look at the dip.
3) The banking system of the country is collapsing and NPAs are rising
4) The black money promise was a hollow one. NDA promised to bring back black money in 100 days, where is it? Where is the Rs 15 lakh per bank account that was promised? They (BJP) can’t get away by calling it a chunavi jumla
5) Agricultural sector is in distress and farmer suicides are a worrying factor. Crop failure is rampant and unlike the UPA, this government is not even offering compensation or debt waiver. There has been no hike in Minimum Support Price (MSP) for farmers.
6) Make in India remains merely a slogan. No progress has been made on the smart cities front. They (NDA) claimed that 100 smart cities will be developed, but no work has been done.
7) All schemes have been renamed and repacked; from Nirmal Bharat to Swachh Bharat, Planning Commission to Niti Aayog, National mission of financial inclusion to Jan Dhan. They (Modi government) cannot conceive any new scheme, they are masters of repackaging.
8) Ceasefire violations in Jammu & Kashmir are at a high. We have never heard of so many ceasefire violations. Plus attacks on Udhampur, Gurdaspur and Pathankot – what is the NDA doing to stop these?
9) Crime against women has increased. Corruption is an issue that the government is not willing to tackle. Two sessions of Parliament could not function because the government was unwilling to take action in Lalit Modi scam, Rajasthan mine scam, Chhattisgarh PDS scam.
10) Modi government’s foreign policy is consistently inconsistent. For NDA’s policy viz a viz Pakistan and China, there is only one line: Woh aaye aur hum bhi gaye, baithe baat-cheet ki, khana khaya aur wapas chale gaye.