Samajwadi Party leader and former Uttar Pradesh minister Azam Khan sparked a controversy with his remarks on Sunday afternoon after a video went viral in which some boys can be seen allegedly molesting a girl, according to a report by Times Now. Khan said he is not surprised by the incident as law and order situation has got worse under the new government. “Maujada sarkar mein jitne balatkaar hue hain, hatya loot hui hai, isme koi hairat ki baat to hai nhi (The number of rapes that have happened under the current government, robberies and killings has happened, it is not at all surprising), he was quoted saying by news agency ANI.
Watch his remarks here:
— TIMES NOW (@TimesNow) May 28, 2017
This incident happened just days after an alleged gangrape case was reported last week. In that incident, a group of five criminals allegedly attacked a family on Jewar-Bulandshahr highway last night, raping four women while one of the family members was killed in the incident. Responding to that, Khan said people should not allow their women to come out. “Bulandshahr ke haadse ke baad har sakhs ko kamse kam apni ghar ki aurat ko, koshish karna chahiye ghar mein rakhen (After the Bulandshahr incident, everyone should ensure that women from their family remain at home),” he was quoted saying by the agency.
Adding to that, he went on to say that even girls should stay away from certain places. “Ladkiyon ko bhi aisi jagahon par nahi jaani chahiye jahan besharmi ka nanga naach hota hai,” Azam Khan added.
Earlier in the day, Uttar Pradesh police along with police of neighbouring states conducted searches following the gangrape case. “The Uttar Pradesh Police has formed a number of teams to crack the case. On need basis, information from neighbouring states is also being taken. The Special Task Force of the UP Police is also actively involved, and we will soon crack the case,” ADG, Meerut, Anand Kumar told PTI.