Congress President Sonia Gandhi targetted the PM Narendra Modi government in very strong language and raised yet another controversy by saying ideals and principles of the Constitution were deliberately being attacked. She targetted both the govt and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)as well as the Sangh Parivar with strong language. Gandhi also utilised Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar’s praise of the Congress for its contribution in the drafting of the Constitution, indicating her party could lay the rightful claim on the document. Here are the top 10 noteworthy points:
1. “People who never had faith in the Constitution, nor had they participated in its drafting, are now swearing by it and are laying claim to it. They are now having a discussion on commitment to it. There cannot be a bigger joke than this,” Sonia Gandhi said.
2. “Whatever is being witnessed over the past few months was totally against the principles of the Constitution. Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar had observed that howsoever good a Constitution may be, if those implementing it were bad people, then the ultimate effect would only be bad,” Sonia averred.
3. Gandhi recalled Ambedkar’s words at that time, “‘I was surprised when I was chosen as the chairman. There were more learned and better people than me in the Committee. It was the discipline of the Congress party that enabled the Drafting Committee to give full information about every Act in the Constitution'”.
4. At a time when Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru’s legacy is under attack, the Sonia Gandhi underlined that Nehru was among the four stalwarts that guided the Drafting Committee. The others being Sardar Patel, Rajendra Prasad and Maulana Azad.
5. Sonia said of the eight committees of the Drafting Committee, the chairman of these were either Nehru, Patel or Prasad. The history of the Constitution is very old and linked to the country’s freedom struggle and that it why it is interlinked with the Congress. “This is all history to which no one could have any objection.”