​​​
  1. Smartphone data leakage: Mobile companies share data of 40 per cent Indians with world, CIA, says Centre

Smartphone data leakage: Mobile companies share data of 40 per cent Indians with world, CIA, says Centre

Smartphone data leakage: 40 percent of Indians, who are smartphone users, intentionally or unintentionally share date with others across the globe, including the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), former Union Home Secretary Rajiv Mehrishi has informed a parliamentary panel.

By: | New Delhi | Updated: September 1, 2017 7:49 AM
smartphone data, Smartphone data leakage, data leaked by smartphone, Rajiv Mehrishi, Union Home Secretary, smartphones, Indian smartphone users, data on indian Smartphone data leakage: 40 percent of Indians, who are smartphone users, intentionally or unintentionally share date with others across the globe, including the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). (Representative image by Reuters)

Smartphone data leakage: 40 percent of Indians, who are smartphone users, intentionally or unintentionally share date with others across the globe, including the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), according to Indian Express report. Former Union Home Secretary Rajiv Mehrishi has informed this to a parliamentary panel on July 21. Mehrishi had dubbed the sharing of data by mobile companies a ‘nuisance’, IE reported today. The Parliamentary Standing Committee on Home Affairs is chaired by senior Congress leader and former Union Minister P Chidambaram.

Mehrishi also apprised the committed about the threats of data theft through use of applications. He said that movement of people could be tracked through the day in this way, IE report says. Meanwhile, Chidambaram said that if mobile phones of two persons were located in close proximity, it could be concluded that both were in the same room. He said that this assist in drone attacks, the report says.

Earlier on August 21, The IT ministry has written to nine more mobile handset companies seeking information on their data security procedures, and intends to approach all the remaining smartphone brands, including Reliance Retails Lyf brand on the same, a senior official was quoted as saying by PTI. Notably, the Electronics and IT Ministry, on August 12, wrote to 21 companies, majority of them Chinese, asking them to outline the procedures and processes adopted by them to ensure security and privacy of users’ data. Subsequently, nine more companies, including Motorola, Honor, Asus, OnePlus, InFocus have been added to that list, taking the total number of such companies to 30.

Watch this video

The IT ministry had cited international and domestic reports about data leaks from mobile phones, and said devices and preloaded software and apps will be under scrutiny in the first phase. Based on the response of the companies, the ministry will initiate verification and audit of devices where required.

Get live Stock Prices from BSE and NSE and latest NAV, portfolio of Mutual Funds, calculate your tax by Income Tax Calculator, know market’s Top Gainers, Top Losers & Best Equity Funds. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

  1. No Comments.

Go to Top