In a big decision, Uddhav Thackeray-led Shiv Sena has announced that it will fight 2019 Lok Sabha elections alone, i.e. not contesting in alliance with its traditional partner BJP.
In a big decision, Uddhav Thackeray-led Shiv Sena has announced it will fight 2019 Lok Sabha elections alone, i.e. not contest in alliance with its traditional partner BJP. The decision was expected due to the ever souring ties between Shiv Sena and the BJP, currently ruling the state in the alliance. The decision was taken in a meet where Shiv Sena held internal polls to elect its party president and other functionaries, which happens to be the birth anniversary of its founder Bal Thackeray. Sena president Uddhav Thackeray was be re-elected as there is no other nomination for the post. Elections were held at NSCI in Worli for the posts of members of the national executive committee and deputy leaders who will be elected from among 180 members of the national executive.
Here are Live Updates on the issue:
– ‘Lets wait, they have been saying many things, as of now we are in alliance in the Govt and this Govt will complete its term’ says Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis in Davos on Shiv Sena going alone in 2019
#WATCH ‘Lets wait, they have been saying many things, as of now we are in alliance in the Govt and this Govt will complete its term’ says Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis in #Davos on Shiv Sena going alone in 2019 pic.twitter.com/JEPm6Wcy5g
— ANI (@ANI) January 23, 2018
– Nitin Gadkari came to Maharashtra and insulted the Navy which guards our borders here. People of armed forces are the ones with real 56 inch chest, how can you insult them?: Uddhav Thackeray at Shiv Sena’s national executive meet in Mumbai
– PM calls himself ‘Pant Pradhan’, all he does is travel abroad,he took Israeli PM to Ahmedabad,why not to Lal Chowk in Srinagar? Why couldn’t he have done a roadshow in Srinagar? Had he hoisted tricolour in Lal chowk,we would have felt sense of pride towards our PM: Uddhav Thackeray
– The Shiv Sena passed a resolution not to align with the BJP and go solo in the Lok Sabha and Maharashtra Assembly polls next year.
– The resolution by Shiv Sena was moved by Sena MP Sanjay Raut, who said the BJP had been demoralising the party for the last three years. The resolution was passed unanimously in the party’s National Executive meet in Mumbai.
– “I moved the resolution for the Shiv Sena to fight the Lok Sabha and Vidhan Sabha polls on its own in 2019,” Raut said. Raut added that the party will win at least 25 Lok Sabha seats (out of a total 48 in Maharashtra) and 125 Assembly seats (out of a total 288) in the state.
– Decision of Shiv Sena to go alone in 2019 was taken in the Party’s national executive meet, Sanjay Raut had moved a resolution in this regard.
– Aditya Thackeray has been named member of Shiv Sena’s National Executive.
– The two parties, which have a similar vote bank and follow similar ideology, had earlier fought 2014 Assembly Elections sepparately. However, after failing to reach majority mark, the two sides came to together to fight elections.
– On Monday, a meeting of senior Sena leaders was held at Thackeray’s ‘Matoshree’ bungalow in suburban Bandra today to discuss the internal polls.
– Former chief minister Manohar Joshi, industries minister Subhash Desai and MP Sanjay Raut were among those present at the meeting.
– The election is being held to comply with the Election Commission’s directives to political parties to hold internal organisational elections, a Sena leader said.
– Aaditya is viewed as Uddhav’s political heir and has led various student agitations at Mumbai University. There were prior speculation that he will be given more responsibility and will
play a bigger role in the organisation.
– Uddhav, 57, became the Sena president five years ago on January 23, 2013.
– The Sena shares an uneasy alliance with the BJP in the state and has been vocal in opposing some of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s policies.