Taking stock of the situation in Kokrajhar, Assam, where 13 civilians were shot in broad daylight by the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) militants, Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Sunday reiterated his zero-tolerance towards terrorism and asserted that the perpetrators would be brought to book.
Taking stock of the situation in Kokrajhar, Assam, where 13 civilians were shot in broad daylight by the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) militants, Chief Minister Sarbanad Sonowal on Sunday reiterated his zero-tolerance towards terrorism and asserted that the perpetrators would be brought to book.
Speaking to the media after visiting the site of the attack, Sonowal stated that his government is committed to protecting the life and property of the people of Assam, adding that he would not compromise with anyone in this regard.
“There will be zero-tolerance against terrorism and whoever is involved in this incident will not be spared.
This government is committed to the security of the people of Assam. Whatever evidence we have so far, it proves that NDBF is behind this killing but we are still conducting search operations.
Everybody responsible will be brought to book,” he said. Sonowal, who returned from New Delhi on Friday evening, yesterday met the victims undergoing treatment at the Gauhati Medical College Hospital.
Sonowal, who instructed the state police to arrest those involved in the act, has announced ex-gratia amount of Rs. five lakh to the families of the deceased, Rs. one lakh to those seriously injured and free treatment to other injured persons.
Meanwhile, the Assam Police have arrested the driver of the auto used by militants to reach Balajan Tiniali market. Additional DGP L.R. Bishnoi had earlier said that three to four militants carried out Friday’s attack.
He said that one militant was gunned down by the security forces, adding efforts are on to nab the remaining attackers. The Additional DGP further said three additional companies of the Army have been deployed in Kokrajhar following the incident.
Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had earlier said that preliminary investigations point towards the involvement of Songbijit faction of NDFB militants in the attack. The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has sent a team to the site of the incident to collect evidence. The Centre is closely monitoring the situation arising out of the Kokrajhar attack.