In a major reprieve for bus conductor Ashok Kumar in Ryan International school murder case, in which a seven-year-old boy was killed last year, was acquitted of charges by the Child Special Court on Wednesday. He was granted bail in November last year on a personal bond of Rs 50,000 by the special court. On February 5, the CBI had urged the court to discharge the conductor citing saying there was no proof against him and that he was coerced by the Gurgaon Police to accept the crime. His acquittal is likely to be a major embarrassment for the Gurgaon Police, which was earlier tasked to probe the murder of the seven-year-old student Paradyuman Thakur.
Here are top developments related to the case:
* The CBI in its Rs 1,000-page, 29 volume charge sheet, filed before the court of Additional Sessions Judge Jasbir Singh Kundu, said, “It is prayed since no evidence by the CBI against conductor Ashok Kumar for his involvement in any manner in the murder…this court may kindly discharge him in this case.” The Class XI suspect is being treated as an adult for the alleged murder.
*The Gurgaon Police had arrested Kumar on September 8 last year hours after the murder of the class II student came to light.
* Autopsy report on the child did not mention any sexual assault, making CBI wonder about police probe.
* After taking over the case on September 22, the CBI said that the main accused in the case was a 16-year-old student of the same school who committed the crime in a bid to get the exams cancelled and postpone a parent-teacher meeting in the school.
* The court had earlier refrained the media from using the name of the juvenile accused in the case. It asked the media to use fictitious names instead. While the victim was named “Prince” by the court, the juvenile was named “Bholu.”The school was referred to as “Vidyalaya”.
* Earlier, Ryan International School owners Augustine Francis Pinto, MD Grace Pinto and CEO Ryan Pinto got the reprieve from arrest after they were granted anticipatory bail by the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
* CBI had also said that the only one murder weapon — a knife recovered by forensic team few days after the murder from the toilet. It said that the teenager had purchased the knife from the local market. During the investigation, police produced another knife on the basis of which they had earlier arrested Kumar for the murder.
* The boy was found murdered within minutes after his father dropped him along with his sister at around 8 am.