The conviction of Sanjay Roy for the rape and murder of an on-duty doctor at RG Kar Medical College and Hospital sparked strong political reactions across West Bengal on Thursday.

The Sealdah court convicted Roy, a civic volunteer, for the brutal crime that occurred in August 2024, following protests and nationwide outrage. The court found Roy guilty under Sections 64 (rape), 66 (punishment for causing death), and 103(1) (murder) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS). Section 103(1) provides for a possible punishment of death or life imprisonment.

Additional District and Sessions Judge Anirban Das will announce the sentence on Monday.

The ruling Trinamool Congress (TMC) and opposition parties expressed differing views on the case.

The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) welcomed the conviction but called for further investigation into potential conspiracies tied to the crime. Senior BJP leader Suvendu Adhikari urged authorities to probe claims made by the victim’s family and junior doctors at the hospital, alleging that more individuals could be involved.

“We welcome the judgment. But we would have been happier if former RG Kar Hospital principal Sandip Ghosh and former Kolkata Police Commissioner Vineet Goyal were also punished today,” Adhikari said. “It must be seen whether anyone else was involved in the crime.”

BJP state president Sukanta Majumdar also raised concerns about potential tampering of evidence during the initial investigation by Kolkata Police. “The court has convicted him (Roy), but people believe others were involved,” Majumdar said.

The TMC, while supporting the conviction, called for the harshest possible punishment for Roy.

Senior party MP Sougata Roy demanded the death penalty, calling it a necessary deterrent. “This will restore people’s faith in the system,” he said.

TMC state general secretary Kunal Ghosh criticised the opposition for politicising the case, stressing that the party condemned the crime from the beginning. “Despite baseless allegations, Kolkata Police arrested the perpetrator within 24 hours,” Ghosh said.

Congress leader Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury expressed dissatisfaction with the verdict, accusing the state government and police of shielding powerful people. “Big names were protected. Even if the accused is given capital punishment, justice will remain elusive,” Chowdhury said.

The Communist Party of India (Marxist) (CPI(M)) also criticised the investigation, with state secretary Mohammed Salim calling the verdict incomplete. “People have fought for justice and will continue to do so,” Salim said.

The case, which involved the rape and murder of a postgraduate trainee doctor on August 9, 2024, triggered widespread protests. Initial handling of the investigation by Kolkata Police faced criticism, leading the Calcutta High Court to transfer the case to the CBI.

The trial, which began on November 14 last year, involved the testimonies of 50 witnesses. The judge concluded that the CBI had proven all charges against Roy, who maintained his innocence throughout the proceedings. Roy’s statement will be recorded before sentencing on Monday.

Read Next