A Kolkata court on Saturday found Sanjay Roy guilty of the rape and murder of a trainee doctor at the RG Kar Medical College and Hospital. The verdict was delivered by Justice Anirban Das at the Sealdah Civil and Criminal Court. The sentencing will be announced on Monday, with the accused set to return to court for the quantum of punishment.
Roy was accused of going to the seminar room at the hospital on August 9, where he assaulted and murdered the young doctor who was resting there. The court framed charges against Roy under Sections 64, 66, and 103/1 of the BNS Act. The victim’s death had sparked protests across the city, leading to Roy’s arrest as a suspect in the case.
During the trial, Roy denied the charges, claiming that he had been falsely implicated. He told the court, “I have not done this. Those who have done this are being let go. I have been falsely implicated.” He further added that his chain of rudraksh, which he claimed to always wear, would have been broken if he had committed the crime at the scene.
Despite his claims, Justice Anirban Das stated that Roy would be heard again on Monday, when the punishment will be announced. “You will be heard on Monday. Now, I am sending you to judicial custody. Your punishment will be announced on Monday at 12:30,” Justice Das said.
The investigation into the death of the trainee doctor had initially been handled by the CBI. In addition to the murder investigation, the agency filed a chargesheet in November regarding financial irregularities at RG Kar Medical College. Several individuals, including Sandip Ghosh, Dr. Ashish Kumar Pandey, and others, were named in connection with financial misconduct at the institution. The CBI also questioned Ghosh about his potential involvement in the murder case, conducting polygraph tests as part of the probe.
The father of the deceased doctor, speaking to ANI, expressed frustration over the lack of progress in the case, alleging that the CBI had not done enough. “The CBI has done nothing in this matter. We have raised several questions before the High Court and the Supreme Court. We did not seek answers from the CBI, but the court assigned all responsibility to the CBI,” he said. He further revealed that DNA tests indicated the presence of multiple individuals at the crime scene. The father vowed to continue seeking justice for his daughter, expressing hope that the accused would be punished for their crime.
