Junior doctors at RG Kar hospital, who had been protesting the rape and murder of a colleague, ended their 42-day ‘cease work’ on Friday. They announced a partial return to duties in essential services, following a march to the CBI office after a week of demonstrations outside the state health department’s headquarters.
The 4 km procession, which stretched from ‘Swasthya Bhawan’ to the CGO Complex, was aimed at urging a swift conclusion to the ongoing CBI investigation into the case.
The doctors confirmed they would refrain from working in the outpatient department (OPD) but would provide limited coverage in emergency and essential services. In another striking show of solidarity, thousands of citizens joined a massive 42-km torch rally demanding justice for the murdered medic, coinciding with the junior doctors’ decision to end their ‘cease work’.
Also Read:RG Kar case: Kolkata junior doctors end protest, set to resume emergency services starting Saturday
“Today, we are calling off our ‘cease work.’ From tomorrow, we will partially join duties concerning emergency and essential services,” one of the junior doctors said.
Junior doctors in West Bengal have announced the establishment of Abhaya medical camps in flood-hit regions of the state, demonstrating their commitment to public health despite ongoing protests. “Given the flood situation in West Bengal and the government’s agreeing to some of our demands, we will be partially rejoining emergency and essential services from Saturday,” a doctor said, PTI reported.
Also Read:Kolkata doctor rape murder: WB Medical Council cancels ex-RG Kar principal’s licence amid CBI probe
The decision to call off the strike was made Thursday night after Chief Secretary Manoj Pant issued a list of directives to improve safety and working conditions for healthcare professionals. These followed discussions between the junior doctors and the state task force earlier in the week.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had previously transferred Kolkata Police Chief Vineet Goyal, appointing Manoj Kumar Verma in his place, and removed the heads of medical education and health services.
Also Read:RG Kar protests: TMC MLA Debnath stirs row, says ‘Some women are going out to buy alcohol at night’
In a separate development, the West Bengal Medical Council has canceled the registration of former RG Kar Medical College principal Sandip Ghosh, who is currently in CBI custody.
As the doctors rallied, citizens held a massive torch march on Friday evening, demanding justice for a postgraduate trainee who was found dead on August 9 with severe injuries. The 42-kilometer march began at Highland Park and covered key locations in Kolkata, including Ruby Crossing and Science City, before concluding at Shyambazar.
Participants in the march, which included doctors, IT professionals, and members of voluntary organizations, called for accountability and systemic change. The atmosphere was charged with emotion as people from various walks of life, including supporters of rival football clubs Mohun Bagan and East Bengal, united to demand justice for the victim.
The torch-lit procession symbolized both hope and determination amidst grief and outrage, as Kolkata continues to see rallies under the “Women, Reclaim the Night” movement following the RG Kar incident.
(With PTI Inputs)
