A huge row broke out when PM Narendra Modi took a dig at Congress MP Renuka Chowdhury on Feb 7, and since then the controversy over the entire matter has only got worse. Congress members have claimed that PM Modi’s Ramayan jibe was derogatory. A number of videos pertaining to the matter are going viral on social media but many users are still wondering about what actually led to PM Narendra Modi’s Ramayan remark against Renuka Chowdhury. So, here is how the sequence of events played out:-
– As PM Modi was speaking during his reply to the debate on Motion of Thanks on President’s address in Parliament, he questioned the Congress’s claim of being the originator of the biometric national ID Aadhaar when he said that the then Home Minister LK Advani had in 1998 spoken about an all-purpose national ID in Rajya Sabha.
– This led to Renuka Chowdhury bursting into loud laughter – As Modi sought to deprive the previous Congress government of credit for Aadhaar, a loud guffaw came from Chowdhury, drawing disapproval of Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu.
– Naidu said, “If you have some problem, go to a doctor, please.”
– Venkaiah Naidu had disapproved of the behaviour but PM Modi asked him not to stop Chowdhury.
– Smiling broadly, Modi requested Naidu not to restrain her.
– What PM Modi said about Renuka Chowdhury: “Sabhapati ji meri aapse vinti hai Renuka ji ko kuch mat kahiye. Ramayan serial ke baad aisi hansi sunne ka saubhagya aaj jaake mila hai (I request you not to say anything to Renuka ji. After the Ramayan serial, we got the privilege of hearing this kind of laughter only today,” he said, to the amusement of top BJP leaders and other ministers sitting around him.
-Chowdhury objected to Modi’s comment but that was not mentioned in the official records of the proceedings.
-Information and Broadcasting Minister Smriti Irani stood up to counter Chowdhury but what she said could not be heard in the din.
Union minister Smriti Irani claimed that she had herself heard Chowdhury passing inappropriate remarks, especially on the prime minister.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Smriti Irani took on Chowdhury. “It is wrong to use your gender as a shield to hide your ill-mannered behaviour. Ask any woman, she would not accept it,” she told journalists outside Parliament.
Renuka Chowdhury has moved a privilege motion against Union Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju for tweeting a video of Modi making the sarcastic comment about her.
WATCH VIDEO: PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Ramayana’ remark about Renuka Chowdhury
Despite such vexatious laugh by Renuka Chaudhary ji PM Narendra Modi ji didn’t get irritated. pic.twitter.com/pc5TGOYhZV
— Kiren Rijiju (@KirenRijiju) February 8, 2018
Rijiju, however, said he just wanted to show how Modi kept his cool despite the vexatious laugh. “Despite such vexatious laugh by Renuka Chaudhary ji PM Narendra Modi ji didn’t get irritated,” Kiren Rijiju said.