A senior official from the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) on Friday told PTI that the historic 17th century based red fort complex in Delhi will be closed from December 5-14 for an event that’s being organised for the first time in India by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO).

Built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan as the palace fort of his 17th century capital Shahjahanabad, the Red Fort complex has been previously recognised as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and remains a centrally protected monument.

Why would the red fort complex be closed ? 

In a first, India is set to host its inaugural UNESCO meeting on the safeguarding of intangible cultural heritage from December 8-13 at the historic Red Fort in Delhi. Preparations for the event are currently underway.

The upcoming session to be chaired by Ambassador and Permanent Delegate of India to UNESCO, Vishal V Sharma will mark the 20th such undertaking of UNESCO.

What’s the purpose of this meeting, why is this a big deal? 

Established under the framework of the 2003 UN Convention to safeguard intangible cultural heritage. These sessions organised by UNESCO serve as a major global platform focused on preserving living heritage. 

The primary purpose of the upcoming sessions is to review nominations for UNESCO’s various Intangible Cultural Heritage lists, discuss safeguarding measures, and foster international cooperation.

India has notably submitted nominations for Deepawali and Chhath Mahaparva for consideration. A series of side events on the theme of safeguarding living heritage are planned to complement the main plenary meetings, offering opportunities for cultural showcases and discussions. 

The event highlights a shift in cultural understanding, emphasizing not just monuments but the “living culture” – the songs, festivals, crafts, and community values that are kept alive through people and their practices.

The logistics and organisation of the upcoming event would be coordinated by the ministry of culture via its autonomous body, the Sangeet Natak Akademi (SNA). “The selection of India for this event reflects the success of India’s efforts in cultural diplomacy and strength,” Ministry of culture said.

The 24 member states currently serving on the committee are – France, Germany, Spain, Slovakia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Barbados, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Paraguay, Bangladesh, China, India, Malaysia, Viet Nam, Angola, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Uganda, Zambia, Algeria, Mauritania and the United Arab Emirates, according to UNESCO website.

Heightened security

Security is expected to be tightened at and around the fort area, as the meeting is scheduled to take place roughly a fortnight after a high-intensity blast in a car near the Red Fort killed 15 people and injured more than two dozen on November 10.

The upcoming December session comes a year-and-a-half after New Delhi hosted the 46th session of the World Heritage Committee (WHC) from July 21-31, 2024 at the Bharat Mandapam.

Read Next