A day after the conviction of Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim, things are looking slightly better as there are no new reports of violence since last night in Sirsa.
A day after the conviction of Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim, things are looking slightly better as there are no new reports of violence since last night in Sirsa, which houses the Dera Sacha Sauda headquarters, police said. At least 31 people were killed and 250 injured in a widespread violence, when the supporters went on a rampage after the Dera chief was found guilty by the CBI court in Panchkula. The Army, Rapid Action Force, and police have been continuously patrolling in Sirsa. The Punjab and Haryana High court has slammed the Haryana Government, saying, “You let Panchkula burn for political benefits.” Haryana Chief Secretary Depinder Singh, while adressing the media, said, two sedition cases have been registered in the violence.
Here are the top ten facts to know:
- Modi's Kashmir outreach: Here's what PM said in meeting with top political leaders of Jammu and Kashmir
- Hawala scam busted in Chhattisgarh! IT dept detects Rs 100-cr money-laundering racket, Rs 6 crore unaccounted cash seized
- More trouble for Kerala BJP: JRS alleges CK Janu got additional Rs 25 lakh cash for NDA deal
1. No VIP treatment is being given to the convicted Ram Rahim Singh in the jail. He was taken through a helicopter purely on security considerations, said Haryana Chief Secretary Depinder Singh said. He clarified that Ram Rahim was taken through a helicopter purely on security considerations.
2. The Punjab and Haryana High Court today asked the Haryana government to provide details of Ram Rahim’s movable and immovable properties in next hearing on 29 August. Slamming the government for its inaction, the court said, “You let Panchkula burn for political benefits.”
3. A high-level meet was today held at Home Minister Rajnath Singhs residence. Home Secy, NSA and IB Chief were present in the meeting. After the meeting, home secretary Rajiv Mehrishi said, “Important points on internal security discussed, one being violence post Ram Rahim’s conviction.”
4. The military is not going inside Dera headquarters, there is no such plan as of now: Rajpal Punia, GOC, 33 Division Hisar said. Two AK-47 rifles and a pistol have been recovered from a car in Haryana.
5. The Haryana government have sealed 36 Dera ashrams in areas including Kurukshetra, Ambala and Kaithal among others, as per India Today. Two sedition cases have been registered during the entire process, probe underway, Haryana Chief Secretary Depinder Singh said.
6. Former Haryana CM BS Hooda, said: “The government must resign on moral grounds.” He added, “If it doesn’t, Centre must impose President’s Rule here.”
7. Facing flak over failure to check violence by Dera Sacha Sauda followers, Haryana government today suspended the Deputy Commissioner of Police of Panchkula, alleging that a “defective” order by him allowed the crowd build-up in the district, as per PTI. Chandigarh DGP Tejinder Singh Luthra said police have detained 81 people. Six private commandos of Ram Rahim Singh arrested by Chandigarh Police, weapons and petrol cans seized from them.
8. Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh’s ‘Z-plus’ security cover was withdrawn after his conviction in a rape case, Haryana Chief Secretary D S Dhesi said.
9. Sources said that the BJP high command is extremely upset with Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar, as per CNN News 18.
10. Prime Minister Narendra Modi, President Ram Nath Kovind, and others have condemned the violence. Prime Minister’s office has reportedly asked both central and state officials to restore law and order as soon as possible.