No one else except Rahul Gandhi filed has filed papers so far for the election.
Rahul Gandhi on Monday filed his nomination paper for the election of Congress party president. Rahul was accompanied by Congress old guard including ex-PM Manmohan Singh, senior leader Ambika Soni and former Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit when he filed his papers. No one else except Rahul filed has filed papers so far for the election. While party leaders are hailing the move to elevate Rahul, ruling BJP has criticised, attacking Congress for promoting dynasty. The criticisms against Congress was led by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi himself who termed the elevation as ‘Aurangzeb Raj’. Here’s a look at how political parties have reacted to Rahul Gandhi’s scheduled elevation to the job of Congress boss.
– PM Narendra Modi, citing a comment of Congress leader Mani Shankar Aiyar, said: “Mani Shankar Aiyar, who never shies away from showing loyalty to one family, proudly said: Was there any election when Shahzahan took Jahangir’s place? Was there any election when Aurangzeb took Shahzahan’s place?”
“I congratulate the Congress on their ‘Aurangzeb Raj.’ For us, the wellbeing of the people matters and 125 crore Indians are our high command,” he added.
Himanta Biswa Sarma
– “As a youth of 21st Century Rahul Gandhi missed a historical opportunity to free @INCIndia from dynastic & feudal politics. By getting ready to file nomination for Congress President in what’s a terribly opaque process Rahul Gandhi has humiliated ordinary workers.”
– “Those who dedicated their sweat & blood for Congress are today silently sobbing on such treacherous lack of transparency in party. How unfortunate, glorious history of the party is being subjected to brutality of a family, & democracy strangulated! God bless.”
GVL Narsimha Rao:
“Pidhikaran of the Congress is now complete. Neither the old generation (PEEDI), nor the new generation matters. Only Pidhi matters,” Rao said in a statement. He termed the entire election process a “mockery of democratic traditions”. “It shows the Congress’s total disconnect with today’s India which values meritocracy and not imposition of dynasty,” he added.
Well, here are some reactions by Congress leaders.
“It’s a great day. Rahul has been the darling of the Congress party workers and this is yet another step in his devotion to the Congress party and country,” Manmohan Singh said.
– Congratulations and best wishes to Rahul Gandhi on behalf of @ProfCong. Let’s all work for a better India!
– I extend my best wishes to Rahul Gandhi ji as he files nomination for party President’s post. Rahul ji has been working very hard since becoming the VP. His simplicity and genuineness has an appeal and acts as a unifying force.
Mani Shankar Aiyar
– When Shah Jahan came in the place of Jahangir did any election happen? And when Aurangzeb came in place of Shah Jahan did any election happen? It was known to everyone that the throne of the king will automatically go to the heir.
Navjot Singh Sidhu
The leader is one who converts weakness into strength, obstacles into stepping stones, disaster into triumph. Rahul Gandhi was soaking all the pressure when the party was not in power, in the front as a General. This is an example of a leader.
As Mr Rahul Gandhi files his nomination, I wish him the very best as Congress President.