Rahul Gandhi is visiting Amethi for the first time since becoming Congress president.
Visiting Amethi has been a regular affair for Congress President Rahul Gandhi. The Congress president has been representing the constituency since 2004 and enjoys an overwhelming popularity here. However, his Monday visit here is a bit different. Gandhi will be visiting Amethi for the first time after taking over as party chief. Here are 5 things that are making his visit special this time:
– Rahul Gandhi is visiting Amethi for the first time since becoming party president. The party workers have made arrangements for a grand welcome for him. As per reports, Gandhi had plans to touch each of the five Assembly segments that fall under it to interact with the public and party workers.
– Gandhi is on a two-day visit. On Sunday, Congress leaders both in Lucknow and Amethi held day-long meetings to prepare, Indian Express reports. Partymen have planned a grand welcome for him along the route from Lucknow, through Rae Bareli, to Amethi.
– Grand arrangements: Among the arrangements, party workers plan to welcome Rahul with drum beats and a showering of petals. The route, through which Gandhi’s cavalcade will pass, will be decked with Congress flags, posters and hoardings. A review meeting was also held by state party chief Raj Babbar to know about the preparations. In Lucknow alone, at least 16 welcome points have been planned by the party workers and leaders, sources told The Indian Express.
-‘Festival for Amethi’: Akhilesh Pratap Singh, Congress spokesperson, has said that event will be like a ‘festival for Amethi’ as Gandhi is not only their MP but the “upcoming prime minister as well.” He added: “There is a tradition that once a Congress president is elected from Amethi, Congress gets a government at the Centre. This is an indication for us that in 2019, Rahul Gandhi will lead us to form a government at the Centre.”
– Rahul is likely to be a part of a road show and address the public at Saloan Nagar Panchayat area. The Congress chief will then proceed to Amethi and stay overnight at Munshiganj guesthouse. On Tuesday, Gandhi is likely to meet the public and party workers in Gaurganj, Jagdishpur and Mohanganj before returning to New Delhi.
– Yogendra Mishra, Congress district president in Amethi, said party workers have made all preparations for Gandhi’s grand welcome. “All his routes have been decorated with party flags, posters and hoardings. Drums will be played and flower petals will be showered on the way. It is his first visit after becoming party president,” Mishra said