Rae Bareli explosion Live Updates: In a horrific incident, as many as 12 people were killed and over 100 people suffered horrendous injuries in the industrial blast.
Rae Bareli explosion Live Updates: In a horrific incident, as many as 20 people were killed and over 100 people suffered horrendous injuries in an industrial blast that occurred in Rae Bareli, Uttar Pradesh yesterday. According to the District Magistrate of Raebareli, “Ash-pipe explodes due to pressure at NTPC plant in Raebareli, at least 100 injured.” According to the latest developments, the death toll has increased to 20 , as per CNN News 18. UP CM has taken cognizance of explosion at NTPC plant in Raebareli & has directed Principal Secy Home to ensure all steps for rescue & relief, according to ANI. UP CM Yogi Adityanath has announced an ex gratia of Rs 2 lakh for next of kin of deceased and Rs 50,000 for critically injured & Rs 25,000 for injured.
Here are the live updates of industrial blast in Unchahar unit of NTPC:
9:13 AM: We’ve constituted team of Magistrate and a Technical Officer, which will conduct a magisterial inquiry into the incident, says Rae Bareli District Magistrate
9:10 AM: Twenty-two causalities till now, 66 people injured. Rescue Ops by NDRF underway: Rae Bareli DM Sanjay Kumar
11:40 pm: Death toll rises to 20, around 100 injured. “Twenty deaths have been confirmed by the district
administration,” Principal Secretary (Home) Arvind Kumar said: PTI reports
10: 21 pm: PM Modi shared grief on the unfortunate incident, here is what he said:
Deeply pained by the accident at the NTPC plant in Raebareli. My thoughts are with the bereaved families. May the injured recover quickly. The situation is being closely monitored & officials are ensuring normalcy is restored: PM @narendramodi
— PMO India (@PMOIndia) November 1, 2017
10: 10 pm: Death toll in rises to 18, 22 victims with severe burn injuries referred for Lucknow: ANI report
9. 50 pm: Watch- Labour Union leader alleges oversight of safety measures, management apathy
9. 45 pm: “An incident involving a high pressure and high temperature area can have serious repercussions. This appears to be a very unusual incident because NTPC has a high record of safety. Let us wait for the investigation report,” says Anil Razdan, India’s former power secretary, reported Hindustan Times.
9. 40 pm: According to NDTV, the boiler plant unit where the explosion was opened just 7 months ago in March. The plant was built by BHEL and was still under trial.
9. 36 pm: Congress president Sonia Gandhi expressed shock and horror at the “terrible tragedy” in her Lok Sabha constituency Raebareli. Conveying her deepest condolences to the families of the bereaved, Gandhi urged upon the authorities to provide immediate medical assistance to the injured.
9.30 pm: An injured employee undergoing treatment at a hospital said that a sudden gush of hot gas with contents of ash-like material engulfed him at the NTPC plant. The man said he was unable to understand what had happened and found himself on a hospital bed with his body scalded all over, when he regained consciousness. The plant area was cordoned off by the police to facilitate smooth running of ambulances.
9: 25 pm: Rae Bareli control room numbers are 0535-2703301/2703401/2703201 for any assistance needed after NTPC plant explosion
9. 16 pm: A National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) team was also despatched to the explosion site from the state capital for relief and rescue operations, an official said. The explosion triggered panic among the employees who ran helter-skelter.
9. 09 pm: The CM has taken cognisance of the Unchahar accident and has directed principal secretary (home) to ensure that all steps are taken for rescue and relief, principal secretary (information) Awanish Awasthi, who is accompanying Adityanath, said.
9. 06 pm: Chief Minister Adityanath, who was away in Mauritius on a three-day official visit, ordered that necessary steps be taken for rescue and relief.
9. 04 pm: The Unchahar sub-division in Raebareli district is around 110 km from the state capital. UP’s ADG (Law and Order) Anand Kumar said that all available ambulances were pressed into action and the additional district magistrate and the additional superintendent of police were on the spot to supervise relief and rescue operations.
9. 01 pm: It added that around 80 people were rushed to NTPC hospital, most of them were discharged after giving first-aid. Union Power minister R K Singh, through social media posts, expressed deep anguish at the loss of lives and said that he had directed the NTPC Chairman and Managing Director Gurdeep Singh to rush to the site.
8. 55 pm: In a statement, the NTPC said that at around 1530 hrs at unit number six of its Unchahar plant, there was a sudden abnormal sound at 20 meters elevation. There was an opening in corner number two from which hot flue gases and steam escaped affecting the people working around the area, the central public sector undertaking said.
8. 50 pm: The NTPC initiated a probe to ascertain the reasons behind the blast while Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath announced Rs 2 lakh compensation for the families of those killed and Rs 50,000 for the grievously injured, they added. Sixteen persons have died while 90 to 100 were injured in the explosion at NTPC’s Unchahar plant, UP’s Principal Secretary (Home) Arvind Kumar said.
8. 45 pm: Watch – Visuals from just after the explosion at NTPC plant in Unchahar
8. 39 pm: A massive explosion ripped a boiler in the state-run power giant NTPC’s Unchahar plant in Uttar Pradesh’s Rae Bareli district today, has killed at least sixteen persons while scores suffered severe burn injuries, officials said.
8. 30 pm: President Pranab Mukherjee has also expressed his condolences to the people who have lost their lives and their bereaved families. He took to Twitter and wrote, ” Anguished by loss of lives in power plant mishap in Raebareli. Condolences to bereaved families. Govt is helping injured #PresidentKovind.”
Anguished by loss of lives in power plant mishap in Raebareli. Condolences to bereaved families. Govt is helping injured #PresidentKovind
— President of India (@rashtrapatibhvn) November 1, 2017
8.20 pm: Meanwhile, Rajasthan CM Vasundhara Raje has condoled the unfortunate incident. She took to Twitter and said, “Aggrieved to learn of the unfortunate incident at #NTPC #Raebareli. My thoughts and prayers are with the injured. Wish them speedy recovery.”
— Vasundhara Raje (@VasundharaBJP) November 1, 2017
8. 15 pm: Uttar Pradesh Labour Minister Swami Prasad Maurya has left for Unchahar plant after the explosion. The chief minister of the state, Yogi Adityanath is right now on an official tour to Mauritius.
8. 10 pm: Congress President Sonia Gandhi has expressed shock and horror at the terrible tragedy in Rae Bareli. Conveying her deepest condolences to the families of the bereaved, Gandhi urged upon the authorities to provide immediate medical assistance to the injured. She has also asked UPCC & Congress workers to provide help in relief operations and provide all possible assistance to the families of the injured.
8.05 pm: Watch – Statement of UP ADG (Law and Order)
8.00 pm: Chief Medical Officer of Raebareli, DK Singh, says 14 people have died in NTPC boiler explosion.
7.50 pm: Watch – Latest visuals from the explosion site
UPDATE: Death toll in NTPC plant explosion in UP rises to 12, around 100 people injured pic.twitter.com/8sKyNNjGJl
— Doordarshan News (@DDNewsLive) November 1, 2017
7.47 pm: As per the report by DD News, the death toll has climbed up to 12 and around 100 people injured
7.40 pm: Our primary objective is to provide immediate medical treatment to those injured: UP ADG (Law and Order) on NTPC Explosion
7.29 pm: UP ADG (Law and Order) was quoted by ANI as saying that 10 bodies recovered, while at least 60-70 people have been injured.
7.16 pm: A 32-member team of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) leaves for Unchahar, ANI reports
6. 59 pm: Rescue operations underway in close coordination with District Administration. Injured persons are being shifted to nearby hospitals: NTPC
6.45 pm: ANI reports that number of dead has risen to 10. Over 100 are reported injured.
6.40 pm: Check out Rahul Gandhi’s Tweet:
रायबरेली NTPC प्लांट की घटना से मन विचलित है। मेरी संवेदनाएं मृतकों के परिवार के साथ हैं। प्रशासन से आग्रह है घायलों को तत्काल मदद दी जाए।
— Office of RG (@OfficeOfRG) November 1, 2017
6.32 pm: An unfortunate accident in the boiler of 500MW under trial unit of NTPC– Unchahar occurred this afternoon: NTPC.
6.30 pm: People injured in ash-pipe explosion at NTPC plant being treated at district hospital.
6.28 pm: Explosion: Union health minister JP Nadda speaks to UP health minister, also asks Union health secy to extend all possible help.
6.24 pm: NTPC Explosion: UP CM announces ex gratia of Rs 2 lakh for next of kin of deceased, Rs 50,000 for critically injured & Rs 25,000 for injured.
6.20 pm: Watch| 5 dead and 100 injured as industrial boiler tube explodes at Unchahar unit of NTPC
— News18 (@CNNnews18) November 1, 2017
6.18 pm: According to the UP ADG (Law & Order), “As of now 4 deaths confirmed by district admin.; 40-50 ppl sustained burn injuries.”
6.11 pm: Here is a visual of the NTPC plant where the incident took place-
6.10 pm: The incident took place when a boiler tube exploded at the unit. Reportedly, the boiler unit at the NTPC plat was under trial.
(This is a developing story)