Defence Minister Arun Jaitley has congratulated the scientists of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for the successful launch of the Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile (QR-SAM).
QR-SAM launch by India: Defence Minister Arun Jaitley has congratulated the scientists of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for the successful launch of the Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile (QR-SAM). The Defence Minister has said that the successful launch of the missile has added to the defence capabilities of India. The induction of the Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile into the armed forces will greatly boost the capabilities of the unit. The air defence arm of the army suffers obsolescence rate of 97 percent as per a letter which was written to the then Army Chief General VK Singh to the then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in 2012, according to Indian Express.
Five years after the report was written, the situation has not changed dramatically. Although the Air Force is responsible for safeguarding the airspace of the country, the army’s air defence corps is responsible for providing air defence for important installations and for providing air defence to the army’s offensive formations during times of war.
Congratulations to DRDO for successfully test firing Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile. This will add to India’s defence capabilities.
— Arun Jaitley (@arunjaitley) July 3, 2017
Currently, the air defence arm of the army provides terminal air defence with the L-70 40 mm guns of Swedish origin and the ZU-23 twin barreled anti-aircraft guns, which are of Soviet origin. The L-70 gun is of 1960s vintage and the ZU-23 is of 1970’s vintage. Both these weapon systems had reached obsolescence by the turn of the century, as per an Indian Express report.
The DRDO had also successfully test fired the QR-SAM in early June from the launchpad on Kalam Island, in Odisha, as per an ANI report. The QR-SAM is an all-weather weapon system capable of tracking and firing and has a strike range of 20 to 30 kms, as per PTI.
- Credit Card, Bank account KYC: NPR letter, Aadhaar, DL can be used; Check new list
- Atal Pension Yojana: You can get more than Rs 5000/month pension! Here's why
- Shabana Azmi injured in accident on Mumbai-Pune Expressway
- Delhi Election 2020 HIGHLIGHTS: Congress releases list of candidates for 54 seats, Alka Lamba to contest from Chandni Chowk
- Labourer gets Income Tax demand notice of Rs 1.05 crore! Do this if you also get
- Reliance Retail revenues cross Rs 45,000-crore mark, margins grow 110 bps
- Odisha train accident: 8 bogies of Mumbai-Bhubaneswar LTT Express derail near Cuttack, at least 20 injured
- Dearness Allowance at 17.2% from January 2020 for these CPSE employees! Check DA for others
- Indian Railways takes strides in going paperless! Signs MoU with RailTel for Phase 2 of e-office execution
- Public Provident Fund: You can convert PPF account into rolling 5-year deposit for benefits!
- Budget 2020: PMO tells FM Nirmala Sitharaman not to set over ambitious targets
- Budget 2020: Easier OTP-based instant registration, higher investment, disbursal limits expected
- Budget 2020: No tax on SCSS! Full rebate on Senior Citizens Savings Scheme - SBI Research proposal
- Budget 2020: Housing finance sector wants FM Nirmala Sitharaman to consider these 8 demands
- Budget 2020: This would fuel the real estate growth story in 2020
- Budget 2020: How reduction in income tax, removal of LTCG could benefit equity investors
- Budget 2020: Rising inflation, mounting fiscal deficit; what govt can do in coming budget
- Budget 2020: Job creation, tax sops high on millennials' wish list for Nirmala Sitharaman
- Budget 2020: Long-term investors may get this gift from India; DDT, LTCG tax relief on cards?
- Budget 2020: What housing finance industry expects from FM Nirmala Sitharaman