Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu on Monday made an official statement in the Lok Sabha regarding the Patna-Indore rail tragedy.
Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu on Monday made an official statement in the Lok Sabha regarding the Patna-Indore rail tragedy. Earlier yesterday, train number 19321, the Patna-bound Indore-Patna express was derailed, killing more than 120 passengers and injuring more than 200. Some of those injured are suffering bruises of grievous nature. The unfortunate event took place at the Phukraya-Malasa of the Jhansi-Kanpur section at around 3:10 am on November 20. According to sources in the Railway ministry, the tragedy took place due to rail fracture. Coach no S1, S2, S3 and S4 were among the worst affected due to the accident.
After coming to know about it, concerns and worries started to flow in with the railway minister Suresh Prabhu rushing on to the spot of the accident. Commissioner of Kanpur zone Iftikharuddin said that over 150 people have been rushed to the hospitals which are nearby the accident spot and all hospitals have been put on alert.
Here are the 5 key points Suresh Prabhu made in Parliament today:
- Forensic enquiry has been ordered by the ministry to look at all possible scenarios as to why the accident occurred. Prabhu assured that the guilty would be given strict punishment.
- Prabhu announced an ex-gratia amount of Rs 3.5 lakh each to the next of kin of the deceased, Rs 50,000 for the grievously injured and Rs 25,000 to the ones who suffered minor injuries.
- He said that the PM had announced RS 2 lakh ex-gratia to the next of kin of dead, while Rs 60,000 to the injured.4.
- All standard passengers have been moved to their destinations by a special train from the Malasa station. Additioal help was being provided to the standard passengers.
- Prabhu said that he had informed the house during the previous Railway budget to progressively replace and phase out the old coaches.
Prabhu further expressed his condolences to the family of the deceased and sympathies to those who have suffered injuries in the unfortunate accident. He assured that an investigation had already been ordered and the guilty would be strictly punished. The Kanpur train tragedy is the worst train accident to have happened in the country in decades.