In an unfortunate event, more than 300 students of Rani Jhansi Sarvodaya Kanya Vidyalaya in Delhi’s Tughlakabad were hospitalised after a gas leakage near the school and received treatment on Saturday Morning, reported news agency ANI. The agency ANI also reported that Police and CATS ambulances reached the spot and were trying to get the situation under control. Romil Baniya, DCP South East told the agency that legal action will be taken for the negligence as the hazardous substance was not handled properly.
The vice principal of the school told the agency that students were admitted to a nearby hospital. ” Students admitted to nearby hospital after gas leakage from a container in Delhi’s Tughlakabad,” she was quoted saying by ANI. The leakage happened in a depot which is located near a school in Railway Colony, Tughlakabad.
Here are visuals from the school:
Earlier in the day, some students complained of irritation in eyes & throat a due to gas leak after which the school authorities looked into the matter. “We have evacuated students, teachers and other staff from Rani Jhansi Sarvodaya Kanya Vidyalaya in Tughlakabad,” a fire officer told IANS. The agency also quoted the deputy Chief Minister of Delhi Manish Sisodia who said the students complained of eye and neck irritation besides dizziness after the gas leaked at a nearby container depot.
Reacting to the incident, Union Minister J P Nadda today directed the Centre-run hospitals to be ready to help the victims. “Central GoI hospitals have been instructed to be ready to help all victims of Delhi gas leak incident.My prayers are with children &families,” he posted on Twitter.
Central GoI hospitals have been instructed to be ready to help all victims of Delhi gas leak incident.My prayers are with children &families https://t.co/plLgXY3gJB
— Jagat Prakash Nadda (@JPNadda) May 6, 2017
According to an officer of Delhi Fire Service (DFS) around 30 students were said to have fainted. However, speaking to students and doctors, Sisodia said that the children were feeling normal. The gas leak call from the school was received at 7.43 a.m. Three fire tenders were rushed to the spot, an officer said.