The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) on Friday opposed the Centre’s ordinance to keep state boards out of the ambit of common medical entrance exams for one year and alleged this has been done to ensure that businessmen and politicians do not find any problem in collecting donations during admissions in medical colleges.
Asserting that one should not play with the future of children, Delhi Health Minister Satyendra Jain said it is extremely unfortunate that the Centre has decided to put on hold the Supreme Court’s order.
“Various allegations are being made over the fact that an attempt is being made to sell admissions in medical colleges. It is also said that Rs. 20,000 crore is spent on admissions every year.So, they are promoting business,” Jain told ANI.
Demanding the Centre to review its decision on ordinance, Jain said IIT has one examination, adding medical test should also be conducted in the similar manner in the country.
The Supreme Court had earlier refused to modify its April 28th order making NEET mandatory for admission to undergraduate medical courses across the country for the academic year 2016-2017.
The apex court order had implied that all government colleges, deemed universities and private medical colleges would be covered under NEET and those examinations which had already taken place or were slated to be conducted separately stand scrapped.
Union Health Minister J. P. Nadda had discussed the issue with State Health Ministers.
Around 6.5 lakh students have already sat for the first phase of NEET held on May 1. The next phase of the exam is scheduled for July 24.